Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new here looking for some advice please

Re: new here looking for some advice please

also i’m wondering if i’m seeing the wrong person maybe i should see a psycho therapist not just a counsellor

Ideally, you should see someone specifically trained in the cognitive, behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc) or mindfulness therapies. But they can be rarer than hen's teeth in some places.

i’m going to try and find a psychotherapist who can give me cbt techniques i don’t need to talk to someone about my past i need techniques that can help me now i’m constantly in flight or fight mode with racing negative thoughts that get me distressed

Quote Originally Posted by kezza1988 View Post
    i don’t need to talk to someone about my past
    The Freudian tyre 'talking' therapy with an endless raking over the coals of the past and one's relationship with their mother rarely solves anything. When the prominent psychologist Hans Eysenck interviewed all of Freud's surviving patients in the 1960s he found not one of them had been helped by Freud. Most were left worse by the experience. Which is why: Freud Is Widely Taught at Universities, Except in the Psychology Department, NYT 2007.

i need techniques that can help me now i’m constantly in flight or fight mode with racing negative thoughts that get me distressed
    Which is what CBT, REBT and mindfulness therapies are all about, addressing the now, not the ghosts of the past.

hi me again i’ve been feeling more depressed this last week and have even had to leave work due to negative thoughts that have got me distressed and making me have suicidal thoughts i really don’t know what to do the community said i can self refer back to them and it would be quick but i think i will be put on a waiting list again i don’t know what they would do with me my escitalopram worked well for 10 years but since july ive tried amitryptaline sertraline now i’m on mirtazapine which i feel all it does is make me eat and help me sleep pregabalin i’m on 200mg i’ve started the gym last 2’weeks but nothing stops these depressing thoughts

i don’t know what they would do with me my escitalopram worked well for 10 years but since july ive tried amitryptaline sertraline now i’m on mirtazapine which i feel all it does is make me eat and help me sleep pregabalin i’m on 200mg i’ve started the gym last 2’weeks but nothing stops these depressing thoughts
    Apologies for the delay. Got a few things happening in 'real life' that are keeping me off-line a lot atm.

Mirtazapine isn't a first line antidepressant, imo, and pregabalin may be effective for anxiety, but does nothing for depression. I see this combo pop up here a lot, but it doesn't seem to work that well. I think either SSRIs, or TCAs are better long term bets.

sorry i hope everything is ok i rang the emergency mental health number saturday said i was so distressed felt suicidal constant negative thoughts she said i have to wait 72 hours for a triage phone call from the nurse and there’s a back log 😭 this mirtazapine is shit just makes me hungry and sleep well but i can’t stop the negative depressing thoughts i don’t know what else they can give me i’m sensitive to tablets

the last psychiatrist i saw crisis team gave me the option of vortioxetine or mirtazapine i chose mirtazapine cos less side effects and i was so thin wasn’t eating or sleeping

the last psychiatrist i saw crisis team gave me the option of vortioxetine or mirtazapine i chose mirtazapine cos less side effects and i was so thin wasnÂ’t eating or sleeping
    Neither have exactly set the world on fire, but vortioxetine would be ahead on likely effectiveness. Wonder why they chose these and not ADs with more runs on the board?

what does runs on the board mean? i just give up i feel like i’m just surviving every day not living a normal life feel like my brain is just completely broken and it’s just getting worse again

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information