Thread: Smear Test Questions - from a male

Smear Test Questions - from a male

Good morning all, I hope you're all well. As the title suggests, I was looking for some useful information on the Smear Test Process and associated issues it's used to detect.

My wife is 31 and she had her first smear test on Saturday. It was quick and easy and she's getting on with her life, happy as Larry, but I'm sat here in a HA spiral, thinking as to what it might find.

Due to a couple of reasons, we haven't had penetrative intercourse yet (we're getting there) and my wife is, in all intents and purposes, a virgin. I know this makes here "low risk" but my mind is an idiot and I need some perspective.

To avoid Dr. Google, does anyone have any useful links to information on stats and how common CC is? Would the nurse have been able to notice anything, not quite right?

Thanks for reading.

Re: Smear Test Questions - from a male

The smear is used to look for precancerous (or cancerous) cells on the cervix. Cervical cancer is a pretty rare form of cancer and it's slow growing. I'm currently writing a law journal article on women's health care and was just emailing with an oncologist at Johns Hopkins who said that because of this, getting regular pap smears virtually eliminates the threat of cervical cancer. When they find the pre-cancerous cells they can remove them before they become problematic. It's kind of akin to colonoscopies being so effective at preventing colon cancer due to its slow growth and the ability to remove polyps before they develop into cancer. I'm also pretty sure that the vast, vast majority of cervical cancer develops in the presence of HPV. So, if you wife is at a very low risk of ever having encountered HPV, she's also at an exceptionally low risk of developing cervical cancer. And, even among those with HPV, developing cervical cancer is still rare.

Re: Smear Test Questions - from a male

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    The smear is used to look for precancerous (or cancerous) cells on the cervix. Cervical cancer is a pretty rare form of cancer and it's slow growing. I'm currently writing a law journal article on women's health care and was just emailing with an oncologist at Johns Hopkins who said that because of this, getting regular pap smears virtually eliminates the threat of cervical cancer. When they find the pre-cancerous cells they can remove them before they become problematic. It's kind of akin to colonoscopies being so effective at preventing colon cancer due to its slow growth and the ability to remove polyps before they develop into cancer. I'm also pretty sure that the vast, vast majority of cervical cancer develops in the presence of HPV. So, if you wife is at a very low risk of ever having encountered HPV, she's also at an exceptionally low risk of developing cervical cancer. And, even among those with HPV, developing cervical cancer is still rare.

Thank you for very informative reply Erin.

Thread Information