Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lymph Node or Ingrown/Cyst??

Lymph Node or Ingrown/Cyst??

Hi all - I'm 22 male. Last night I discovered a pea sized lump near my genitals kind of on the right side of groin. It feels like maybe a pimple? Cyst? ingrown hair that I've gotten before. I've had these ingrown type balls/lumps before around my groin area and butt area where I often shave.

This bump feels like a small pea under the skin. It literally feels like something I've had before. It feels attached to the skin and not rooted. But I can like squeeze area and it moves with the skin. I'm really scared thinking it's something sinister. I also noticed when I mess with it, it becomes more inflamed or swollen in a way. I'm really freaking myself out thinking it's a lump or swollen lymph node but I don't think those things would be attached to the skin. Like it feels like a little ball.

Re: Lymph Node or Ingrown/Cyst??

Anyone? :(

I would say it could be any of the things you mentioned. I get cysts a lot, I have also recently had an ingrown hair and I also get spots.

Honestly, I would say, don't keep squeezing it, prodding it or poking it. You can guarantee that will make it sore, red and inflammed. I would leave it alone and ignore it for a couple of weeks, if in that time it becomes red, warm and swollen, see your doctor as it could be an ingrown hair and may have got infected. The same could be said for a cyst, it could just stay there under the skin for years and then suddenly (and I've felt with myself, randomly) grow and get infected. If it's a spot it'll probably vanish, but as before if it gets warm, red, swollen etc.

As I've said I have had all three. Sometimes I've needed antibiotics, sometimes they've gone away on their own and sometimes in the case of cysts I've had them removed or drained.

I'm not an expert but as I said;
    * Leave it alone for a couple of weeks.
    * Do not consult Dr Google
    * If it becomes red, warm and inflammed contact your doctor, you may need antibiotics.
    * If after a couple of weeks there is no change and you are still concerned, see your doctor.

I really don't believe it's anything serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I would say it could be any of the things you mentioned. I get cysts a lot, I have also recently had an ingrown hair and I also get spots.

Honestly, I would say, don't keep squeezing it, prodding it or poking it. You can guarantee that will make it sore, red and inflammed. I would leave it alone and ignore it for a couple of weeks, if in that time it becomes red, warm and swollen, see your doctor as it could be an ingrown hair and may have got infected. The same could be said for a cyst, it could just stay there under the skin for years and then suddenly (and I've felt with myself, randomly) grow and get infected. If it's a spot it'll probably vanish, but as before if it gets warm, red, swollen etc.

As I've said I have had all three. Sometimes I've needed antibiotics, sometimes they've gone away on their own and sometimes in the case of cysts I've had them removed or drained.

I'm not an expert but as I said;
    * Leave it alone for a couple of weeks.
    * Do not consult Dr Google
    * If it becomes red, warm and inflammed contact your doctor, you may need antibiotics.
    * If after a couple of weeks there is no change and you are still concerned, see your doctor.

I really don't believe it's anything serious.

Thank you. I definitely think it's a boil/cyst. I've gotten them before down there and on my behind region from shaving. But does it sound like a lymph node? I wouldn't think lymph nodes are attached to the skin like that. It feels like when you have a pimple, and you can feel it attached to your skin. I would think a lymph node, you could roll the skin over it and is not attached, Im freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmc223 View Post
    I definitely think it's a boil/cyst. Im freaking out.
    What's there to freak out about?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    What's there to freak out about?

FMP
    The possibility of me being wrong. Like, I’m pretty sure it’s just a ingrown hair/boil/cyst like usual but it’s like not being able to tell for sure. It also is a little tender. I’m hoping it’s not a lymph node as it’ moves with the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmc223 View Post
    The possibility of me being wrong. Like, I’m pretty sure it’s just a ingrown hair/boil/cyst like usual but it’s like not being able to tell for sure. It also is a little tender. I’m hoping it’s not a lymph node as it’ moves with the skin.
    You're not wrong. Probably from shaving. Worry if you want

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You're not wrong. Probably from shaving. Worry if you want

FMP
    I’m scared. How do I know it’s not a lymph node. It’s day 3 since I found it and it doesn’t seem like it’s improving. :(

Even if it were a lymph node, it doesn't mean it's harmful. Lymph nodes go up and down for a wide variety of reasons - most perfectly harmless.

I would say if it gets larger or changes in any other way, it would be worth checking out. Otherwise, stop prodding it for a week or two and see if it goes away (it almost certainly will).
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Even if it were a lymph node, it doesn't mean it's harmful. Lymph nodes go up and down for a wide variety of reasons - most perfectly harmless.

I would say if it gets larger or changes in any other way, it would be worth checking out. Otherwise, stop prodding it for a week or two and see if it goes away (it almost certainly will).
    I hope so. But it SEEMS like a pimple/cyst/ingrown hair. I wouldn’t think enlarged lymph nodes are attached to the skin? And it’s tender. I just want it to go away but it’s only been 3 days. I THINK it got smaller, but I’m not entirely sure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information