Thread: Getting my heart checked for the first time. A question for you EKG Veterens

Getting my heart checked for the first time. A question for you EKG Veterens

I have developed a lot of palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath etc. Hoping it's just anxiety and hyperventilation related, but I've never had a heart work up before so I've been referred to and going to see a cardiologist in about 10 days.

A couple questions:

Has anyone gotten tests done when they were severely anxious?

Does anxiety/ white coat syndrome mess with EKG/ECG results? My heart rate shoots up at the doctors and I am wondering if the EKG/ECG will say I have some kind of heart issue when its really just anxiety? Will the doc and the machine be able to distinguish this? Also I hyperventilate a lot and read somewhere that hyperventilation could possibly mess with intervals and stuff like that.

Has anyone experienced a situation when anxiety ruined their EKG results?

Re: Getting my heart checked for the first time. A question for you EKG Veterens

It's been a while so not sure if it's useful but the answer is no, because they can tell. If anxiety elevates your HR it will be sinus rhythms, PAC or PVCs at most if you get skipped beats, all of which are normal. Doctors will be able to tell the difference.

Re: Getting my heart checked for the first time. A question for you EKG Veterens

Ive had several done. i as far as i know high anxiety does not affect results. if in doubt check with doctor

Thread Information