Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Hello all!

I haven't posted in awhile, at least it doesn't feel like I have anyway. But, I have come across another scary symptom that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. So, I will be getting a Covid test, and today is day 5 for me of symptoms. I started immediately with intense body aches, a 101.6 fever, major headache, the whole thing. As of right now, I don't have a fever, but I have a minor sore throat, and I feel like I might have some phlegm. But the muscle aches are gone. However, the symptom that is scaring me is a feeling of breathlesness - let me explain.

So, the first day it happened, I out of nowhere, I started having a feeling like I couldn't breathe, totally out of nowhere. Eventually, it sort of went away, and then the next day, I didn't have it - but I was also running a high fever and had bad muscle aches. So now yesterday, I got up normally, but eventually, once again out of nowhere, I started having that same feeling at like 6:30 in the morning and it kept going on. It felt like someone put a straitjacket on my chest, and I was almost crying and I almost went to the emergency room. I ended up getting out of the house, and I did go somewhere, (I wore a mask, I maintained social distancing, the whole 9 yards), and that was the only time yesterday where I felt kind of okay. Now today, I feel like I have that same problem.

The best way I can describe it, is like my brain is forgetting to breathe, like I don't have automatic breathing anymore and it panics me. Now I haven't had my Covid test yet, but if I have Covid, I am terrified I will develop acute respiratory distress syndrome because I have read that it's possible for Covid to infect the medulla, which regulates automatic breathing. Can anyone else either relate to this or know any more information about it? I would greatly appreciate it, thank you!

Re: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Could your HA be making you hypersensitive to the breathing sensations?

I know with anxiety there is a tendency to hold your breath and if you have HA you'll pick up on that and think it's something majorly serious.

With your symptoms you need to get a Covid test as soon as possible. If it is Covid in all likelihood you'll have it mildly. I had it before Christmas, I'm a 54 year old, slightly overweight, smoker and I had it very mildly, no worse than a cold.

Thank you for the response! I’m about to get a Covid test today, but I just worry about it a lot. Like, save for that symptom, and a sore throat, I may not feel 100%, but I certainly feel better than I did earlier.
    And what is considered a mild form of Covid? Like I hear people who have what seems like terrifying symptoms, but people say “oh that’s mild.” Like what?!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

For me when I say I had it mildly I mean I had a sore throat for a couple of days, maybe a few more headaches than normal and a cough (which has lingered). I have had colds that felt worse and if it hadn't been Covid I would have been totally capable of going to work.

Now I’m terrified because I’m seeing a multitude of different articles reporting that many people have developed ARDS due to not necessarily their lungs being damaged, but their brains literally forget how to breathe due to Covid attacking their brain stem. Now I’m fully aware of my breathing, and every time I try to become distracted, I forget to breathe. Now I’m convinced that it’s my brain slowly shutting down, and I won’t ever be able to breathe normally and it terrifies me.

Anxiety tends to make us hold our breaths, which is not a good thing.

Why don't you try doing some yoga breathing exercises, slow deep breaths can really help reduce anxiety levels. Then the rest of the time try and keep busy and distracted. Don't google.

I’m about 23 days since my first COVID symptom. Just like you I was absolutely terrified and I was bed ridden with anxiety for over 2 weeks.

Every single night I had the breathing overthinking. Which ended up making me have many sleepless nights. Up until maybe 3-4 days ago my breathing anxiety finally went away. Try to remain calm, if you can take deep satisfying breaths then you’re okay, if you can go up the stairs without feeling like you just ran a marathon you’re okay. Any time I had the breathing anxiety I would find something to occupy my mind. After a few minutes I would realize that the mechanical breathing was all from anxiety and overthinking.

For your COVID symptoms, stay hydrated often, do salt nasal rinses, do steam inhalation (this felt like it was god sent of how well it helped with cough and post nasal drip), and make sure to get lots of rest. Try to nap during the day because sleep helps the body recover! I hope you get well soon

But my inability to unconsciously breath is really my only symptom (of course), and it’s terrifying. I was having intense chest pressure which I was contemplating throughout the week going to the ER. I will say the feeling like I couldn’t breath was a problem for me on the very first day, but it eventually dissipated until it came back two days later. I have tried distracting my mind, but it isn’t working. My brain forgets to breathe on its own, and I have to kick in to do it. This is really starting to terrify me.

Breathing is an automated response so your brain can't forget to do it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information