Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Re: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

But what I’m saying is there’s so many people who have reported this not very well known symptom. Patients are actually losing their ability to automatically breath on their own and they have to manually breath after contracting Covid. This is not my anxiety anymore. I can’t take my mind off of it, otherwise I gasp for air.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    But what I’m saying is there’s so many people who have reported this not very well known symptom. Patients are actually losing their ability to automatically breath on their own and they have to manually breath after contracting Covid.
    Can you post a scientific factual report of this symptom from a reputable source as I've not heard of this before

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...-symptoms.html
    This is one of many sites that has posted about Covid attacking the respiratory center of the brain.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...-symptoms.html
    This is one of many sites that has posted about Covid attacking the respiratory center of the brain.
    Here's an interesting study that deals with breathlessness in "Long Covid" patients:

https://oxfordbrc.nihr.ac.uk/preprint_explain_study/

Please note this is a pre-print and not yet peer-reviewed.

There are however other studies of autonomic dysfunction in Covid patients, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8367772/

From that latter:

SARS-CoV-2 is the cause of COVID-19 and is responsible for 175,541,600 confirmed cases and 3,798,361 deaths worldwide. There are upward of 220,000 cases daily (www.who.com; accessed 14 June 2021). Most persons who contract COVID-19 survive their illness, but up to 70% of survivors have one or more symptoms lasting for 3 months or greater. Resting tachycardia, dyspnea, post-exercise exhaustion, sleep disturbance and fatigue are common, lingering symptoms—each could be explained by post-viral autonomic dysfunction. Comprehensive testing in experienced centers and clinical trials are needed to address a common barrier to full recovery in persons surviving COVID-19.
    Again, I cannot immediately see any peer review of that.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 29-01-22 at 14:24.

So I’m kind of confused. Does that study indicate that treatment is possible? Or am I going to be suffering forever? That’s like a half rhetorical question. However, this is slowly driving me insane. :(

So I’m kind of confused. Does that study indicate that treatment is possible? Or am I going to be suffering forever? That’s like a half rhetorical question. However, this is slowly driving me insane. :(
    So did you actually test positive? I saw you had posted you were getting a test on the 19th. If you did test positive, you’re only about two weeks out from start of symptoms at this point. It is highly possible you’re still dealing with after effects of the virus. Those can take a bit to go away in some people.

it’s also highly possible, that you are so hyper aware of your breathing right now that these issues are manifesting into bigger problems than they really are in your mind. This has happened to me before when I’ve been so focused on one particular aspect of my breathing. I know you’ll say that’s not what’s happening here, so if you are truly concerned and can’t let it go, the next step is to reach out to your GP and make an appt to be seen. You’re not far enough out from your infection at this point to qualify for any of the long Covid clinics over here. But, maybe the doc checking your stats and O2 levels would help reassure you.

I’m sorry I forgot to mention, yes, I tested positive on January 20th. But, today is day 16 from the first day of my symptoms starting. When I went to the doctors, they did test my O2 levels, and they were 99. But like I said, it’s the fact of not being able to breathe spontaneously. I also have a headache that starts in my neck and works it’s way up - right where my brain stem is.
    There’s days it’s more prominent than others, but it’s there. Like, if I knew nothing was wrong with my brain stem, I could live with what’s going on. But the fear of the unknown is scary to me. Honestly though for the most part, everything has pretty much subsided, save for the breathing issue, and the headache.

I don't doubt you're still recovering but you've also cherry picked portions of articles to back your symptoms. There's too much we don't know about the virus and the effects, long term or not and science hasn't been in complete agreement as research is ongoing. With 99% O2 levels, you're fine. As far as the feeling your having? I believe you're hyper-focusing. Add to that, as you said, the fear of the unknown and here you are.

ADDED: I actually just read a new article (your link is from nearly two years ago) in AARP (we get the newsletter and magazine... Yeah, we're old ), and it states quite clearly "We don't yet have a great understanding of what this is, how it occurs and what the treatment should be, I think in 2022, we'll begin to get a handle on those". It did state, and this makes total sense, those who were over 50, had severe illness, were intubated and/or had lung issues prior seem to be those that are being affected by this symptom.

I still think, and I don't doubt you're experiencing this symptom, is that you're hyper-focusing on it due to your anxiety and your anxiety is exasperating the symptom as you've mentioned it waxes and wanes.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 30-01-22 at 19:49.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

https://psychcentral.com/ocd/sensori...der#definition

Easy to get sucked into this. The breathing obsession is really uncomfortable.

I will say that this morning, it almost felt like I didn’t have to breathe at all. Like I wasn’t short of breath, but like even unconsciously I didn’t feel like I was breathing. Now I’m back to I can clearly manually breathe. This whole thing is just turning my world upside down and it’s frightening. I apologize for ranting, but if this would be corrected, I’d be on top of
    the world. I don’t know anyone else who’s had this when they contracted Covid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information