Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Re: Covid 19 and shortness of breath

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    I will say that this morning, it almost felt like I didn’t have to breathe at all. Like I wasn’t short of breath, but like even unconsciously I didn’t feel like I was breathing. Now I’m back to I can clearly manually breathe. This whole thing is just turning my world upside down and it’s frightening. I apologize for ranting, but if this would be corrected, I’d be on top of
    the world. I don’t know anyone else who’s had this when they contracted Covid.
    I think that the fact that you can say you have moments where you felt like you didn’t have to forcefully breathe is a good thing. If it was really what you’re worried about then it would be happening 24/7.

Please try to stop reading, I am also like you and tend to good search everything and it never makes things better. You also mentioned your oxygen levels are perfect. Try to keep your mind busy on other things, I hope you feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    I will say that this morning, it almost felt like I didn’t have to breathe at all. Like I wasn’t short of breath, but like even unconsciously I didn’t feel like I was breathing. Now I’m back to I can clearly manually breathe. This whole thing is just turning my world upside down and it’s frightening. I apologize for ranting, but if this would be corrected, I’d be on top of
    the world. I don’t know anyone else who’s had this when they contracted Covid.
    Backs what I've posted 100%.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It honestly feels like my body just doesn’t want to breathe anymore. I’m at a point where Covid has seriously made me contemplate my sanity. Like today, I felt like I was oxygen hungry and I was panicking, but no one in the medical community is taking me seriously. When I told them about the symptom of literally forgetting to breathe, they look at me like I’m nuts. I really don’t want to die, but I think this will only get worse and it’s going to
    happen.

See ya tomorrow!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Just chiming in with what others have said: this is an anxiety symptom. I've had it, and it's a really scary one. But it's anxiety. The kicker is that you absolutely have to get your mind off of it, which will involve a lot of effort put into distracting yourself. Intrusive thought? Nope! Let's bake cookies! Or talk to a friend!

The logic of it is, if you were truly unable to breathe automatically, you would no longer be here because you still have to sleep.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

It almost feels like it’s getting worse, like I almost can’t even manually control my breathing. I’m hoping I last long enough to see a neurologist, but if I don’t, I guess I’ll have my brain autopsied. I’ve kind of just resigned at this point, and I know it’s morbid, but I don’t see this getting any better. I’ve tried trying to distract myself, but nothing is working. And some people say that if I truly lost my ability to breath, I couldn’t sleep. Well last night was a pretty rough night to say the least, as I got up quite a few times though not gasping for air, my sleep was disturbed.
    I did request a referral from my GP for that neurologist appointment, but I can’t speak to my GP until tomorrow.

If your brain was not controlling your breathing, you wouldn’t make it 30 seconds while sleeping. It’s physically impossible.

That said, anxiety can and most definitely will disturb your sleep. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to get checked out especially post Covid when symptoms are lingering. But you hyperfocusing on your breathing every minute of every day is making things 100% worse. I guarantee it. I know, because I’ve been there myself.

Hello all again! I’m back with a sort of update, but also some questions if I may. So, it’s been a little over 4 months since I came down with Covid. Overall, I do feel better, however my concern is with my breathing again. Now, it took some time, but eventually I began to notice my breathing problem I was worried about seemed to be correcting itself. However, recently, it’s popped up again and it once again has me worried. So I was wondering if anyone else on here might be able to give some insight into this, or if they’ve experienced this as well after Covid.
    You know I’m thinking it’s my brain stem, or my lungs are scarred. :( I do want to mention I was not vaccinated, and yes, I understand the ramifications of that. I’m not a crazy anti-vaxxer at all, I was seriously on the fence about it, and was very close to getting it…and then I got sick. Other than my breathing MOST of my Covid related issues are better. It’s mainly that, and sometimes I’ll have that headache where it feels like I have a balloon in my head when I get up in the morning. I really appreciate everyone on here, and the support this community gave me during this time.

I’m glad you checked back in. I don’t have any experience with what you’re describing, but I had a neuro adverse reaction to the vax that I’m still dealing with 6 months later. I’ve learned there is just so much the medical community doesn’t understand about covid or the vax. It’s very scary when a true medical issue arises when you also have anxiety because it can be difficult to discern which is at play - and it can be frustrating when people try to tell you it’s anxiety.

My suggestion to you is to stop reading Dr Google, distract yourself as much as possible, and then see how much the issue remains. Personally my own issue comes and goes so I don’t know if that’s just the nature of covid problems, if that means it’s likely anxiety, or if that means it’s not serious either way if it waxes and wanes.
    Last edited by jules321; 01-06-22 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Anxiety tends to make us hold our breaths, which is not a good thing.

Why don't you try doing some yoga breathing exercises, slow deep breaths can really help reduce anxiety levels. Then the rest of the time try and keep busy and distracted. Don't google.
    You are 100% correct I hadn’t noticed it until recently but I’d literally hold my breath without even realising I was doing it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information