Thread: Russia Ukraine: How to stop doomscrolling?

Russia Ukraine: How to stop doomscrolling?

This Russia-Ukraine news is occupying my life. I cannot focus on anything else. I am constantly looking at news websites, forums such as Reddit and Quora and specially looking for key words such as 'WW3' and 'nuclear war' pretty much looking for answer such as 'yes it's going to cause WW3'. I'll go to Twitter and look at threads of people's opinions on it. The odd time I will find reassuring articles that help for a while but i'll go back looking for more bad news. I want to stop but I feel if I do, i'm ignoring it and things get worse without me knowing. It doesn't help that I work on through the internet all day sitting at a computer as well as my phone on hand.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Russia Ukraine: How to stop doomscrolling?

Sorry to sound funny, but I thought there was already a thread on this particular subject, which we have both been posting on.

Also, who's suggested anything specifically about nukes in the news concerning this particular issue?

I do, however, agree that as a global society we've become increasingly obsessed with various Doomsday scenarios over the past decade or so, and not just war-related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Sorry to sound funny, but I thought there was already a thread on this particular subject, which we have both been posting on.

Also, who's suggested anything specifically about nukes in the news concerning this particular issue?

I do, however, agree that as a global society we've become increasingly obsessed with various Doomsday scenarios over the past decade or so, and not just war-related stuff.
    I was going to mention this on the other thread but didn't really want to take away from the OP's post, as it belongs to them.

I think this is a different question because it's about stopping doomscrolling, not the specifics of the news story. The same tips can be given whether the fear is health, Covid, or any theme of your anxiety. It's not really about Russia/Ukraine, and I think using this thread to give reassurances about that specific situation is actually counterproductive.

Really it's about realising this is a compulsion, it's about an unhealthy way of coping with worry. In reality worry is not a healthy or useful activity - whatever will happen will happen whether you're cheerfully getting on with your life or poring over the Internet.

As with all compulsions it's hard to stop with generic advice from random people off the internet, and if you're struggling and aren't already getting help have a chat to a professional about therapy or meds that may help.

One thing that can help is actually scheduling worry into worry time. So if you find yourself fretting give yourself permission to worry, but put it off and do it at a scheduled time of the day. By the time this comes round the power of the worry has often diminished, and you it helps you to free the rest of the time.

Another thing is to try and switch off. It's easier said than done, but throw your phone across the room, switch off your laptop, and do something else that will occupy your mind. This will feel uncomfortable as you're fighting an urge that your brain thinks you need to stay safe, but you need to train it that it's not needed.

Lastly you can add settings on your phone to limit apps and websites, but I've not had a lot of luck with these as they're easy enough to circumvent in your weaker moments.

But I would reiterate I've found all this very hard, and still do, and do try and seek help from a professional if you aren't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxle View Post
    I think this is a different question because it's about stopping doomscrolling, not the specifics of the news story. The same tips can be given whether the fear is health, Covid, or any theme of your anxiety. It's not really about Russia/Ukraine, and I think using this thread to give reassurances about that specific situation is actually counterproductive.

Really it's about realising this is a compulsion, it's about an unhealthy way of coping with worry. In reality worry is not a healthy or useful activity - whatever will happen will happen whether you're cheerfully getting on with your life or poring over the Internet.

As with all compulsions it's hard to stop with generic advice from random people off the internet, and if you're struggling and aren't already getting help have a chat to a professional about therapy or meds that may help.

One thing that can help is actually scheduling worry into worry time. So if you find yourself fretting give yourself permission to worry, but put it off and do it at a scheduled time of the day. By the time this comes round the power of the worry has often diminished, and you it helps you to free the rest of the time.

Another thing is to try and switch off. It's easier said than done, but throw your phone across the room, switch off your laptop, and do something else that will occupy your mind. This will feel uncomfortable as you're fighting an urge that your brain thinks you need to stay safe, but you need to train it that it's not needed.

Lastly you can add settings on your phone to limit apps and websites, but I've not had a lot of luck with these as they're easy enough to circumvent in your weaker moments.

But I would reiterate I've found all this very hard, and still do, and do try and seek help from a professional if you aren't already.
    Thank you I am going to try my best, I just find it incredibly hard as you say

Hey, at least its not about gums, lumps and rashes The simple answer is JUST DON'T DO IT! There's no magic button or words here. YOU have control over what you click on.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Anxle View Post

You have some good points there Anxle.

If this thread is intended to discuss the act of 'doomscrolling' in general, rather than specifically in response to the Ukraine/Russia situation, perhaps the title could have been worded slightly differently.

Of course, people doomscroll lots of different subjects, Covid, Brexit, governmental disarray (on both sides of the Atlantic), violent crime, terror threats, the economy, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    You have some good points there Anxle.

If this thread is intended to discuss the act of 'doomscrolling' in general, rather than specifically in response to the Ukraine/Russia situation, perhaps the title could have been worded slightly differently.

Of course, people doomscroll lots of different subjects, Covid, Brexit, governmental disarray (on both sides of the Atlantic), violent crime, terror threats, the economy, you name it.
    Apologies for causing confusion, maybe it would be better to talk on the other thread?

IMHO I think it's fine as long as the discussion here is about tips for dealing with anxiety rather than repeating going through the whys and wherefores of geopolitics. Although the thread title could be clearer, you're asking for tips for getting better, not reassurance about a particular situation, which is great.

Thread Information