Thread: Incapacity benefit.

Incapacity benefit.

Just wondered how many of you are unable to work cus of anxiety, panic attacks or any other mental illness.
    I havent worked for just over 2 years due to panic and anxiety disorder and I claim incapacity benefit.
    Today I saw on the news that the government intend to make it harder for people to claim the benefit.
    e.g what you can do instead of what you cant.
    Yes I can walk. Yes i can bend down and pick things up. Yes I can do most physical things.
    So what reason is there for me not to work?
    Im not idle, ive worked from when i was 16 up until 2 years ago. Ive paid loads in tax and insurance. Im no benefit cheat.
    I want more than anything to be able to resume living the life I had before I started with panic attacks.
    I just wanted to know what others thought.
    How do such as us get looked upon by society?
    I dont consider myself a nutcase (even tho many that know me do lol)
    Im an honest caring human being that probably due to the pressures I had put upon me by my employers became ill.

Take care
    LYNN xx

Re: Incapacity benefit.

Lynn hun

try not to worry. You are no benefit fraud
    We would all like to be working and earning a nice full wage. I am similar to you in as much as I am working but off sick. Second long time sick in a year. I have applied for DLA but how hard can they make it for me? I WANT to be fit for work (you can get DLA if you were working but if I was working I would probably not need it as much) When my SSP runs out, I will be claiming incapacity too.

I don't want to think too much about how other people look upon me as it is never favourable. I don't even tell people I am not at work in case they ask why.

Like you though.............others might think I am a nutter anyway LOL!
    happyone
    xxx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hi Lynn,

I understand what you're saying totally

I am now on incapacity benefit, have been for 2 weeks and it is the first time I have ever claimed any benefit in my life. I have never claimed due to anxiety thankfully as that never stopped me working even when severe but even so it IS still an illness so you are NOT a fraud .

I also suffer from M.E and have never claimed for that and if I did they turn most people with that down My current claim is due to a condition called trigeminal neurlgia - it is medically known to be the worst pain known to man, it's excruciaitng, some days I do not know what to do with myself due to pain and I can barely talk as it affects my face yet just 2 weeks into my benefit I am being reassessed to see if I am really eligible to be off sick! It is wrong and makes me mad and feel like a criminal! I mean I have trigeminal neurlagia, M.E, anxiety, asthma and some other things so I don't know what they class as ill! Even my gp said sadly my incapacity could go wither way as borderline! I have been refused DLA too.

I don't think it should matter whether an illness is physical or mental - it's all illness and all deserves to be treated as such. Anxiety for instance affects us all differently, I always found my anxiety was far better when I was working and had a daily routine, but for others they can't work with it - that's not wrong, we're all different.

I think the trouble is there are people out there on benefits who should not be and they make it harder for us genuine people. The people making these decisions do not have a clue what most of us go through every day either do they.

You really are not a fraud Lynn and deserve all the help you can get

Sorry to take over, benefits are my pet hate subject at the moment so I'll get off my soapbox!

Lisa x

I saw this on TV this morning and I think what they were saying is that some people are taking the mickey - signed off sick for being overweight, having acne and other silly things.

I like the idea that they said they would help people get back to work and I would love to think that this meant investing more in CBT therapists and one-on-one support for those that need it.

I personally couldn't give up work - as much as I wanted to - as I had a house alone and a huge mortgage and didn't want to lose it all and have nothing so I struggled on.

I think some people do work the system and can work but choose not to or not to get any help.

Perhaps they will help people set up at-home businesses as well so that would be beneficial to loads too.

We will see I guess.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I would love to think that this meant investing more in CBT therapists and one-on-one support for those that need it.
    Here here! Wouldn't that be nice, it's so needed too. However I won't hold my breath as sadly they seem to be cutting mental health services in many parts of the country rather than expanding them, but here's hoping

Lisa x

I have been waiting for cbt for over 18 months now.
    Its a complete joke.
    I was given 6 sessions of couselling that made me feel worse.
    Now cus of the support, encouragament of my family and a few dear friends I am getting better. But i have had a few really bad set backs.
    I dont expect anything given to me on a plate but I really do think its about time we got more help and support.
    How can we expect to get back to work otherwise?
    If wed got a broken leg it would be treated until it was fully mended and we were capable of walking on it again.
    Just cus you cant see something doesnt mean to say it isnt there!
    Sad to say that even if I had bills to pay and a mortgage I really dont think I would have been able to work. There was no way I could have even gone out of the house at one time.

Take care
    LYNN xx

Thread Information