Thread: Issues with wider stools? (Very tmi)

Issues with wider stools? (Very tmi)

Hey everyone. Been a rough while, finding myself stressed once again about my bowels. Over the past few weeks, I've been having issues with my stools. They're not weirdly textured or discolored, and there's no blood either, but they've just been a bit too wide. Sometimes they take a good bit of straining to get out. I wouldn't say every stool is like this, but a good majority of them have been. I'm worried that this is some of the "change in bowel habits" going on associated with colon cancer.

My recent blood work came out better than ever, my stool test from over the summer was also good, and any scans I've had in the past have been clear. My rational mind is telling me that I'll be fine, but it's hard not to stress. I've tried to think about what's changed, and there's not much different about my diet. I do take amitriptyline and went from 10 mg to 20 mg before this all started, but could that really cause this much of a difference in my bowels?

Anyway sorry for talking so much. Just an anxious and nervous 27 year old. I had the chance to get a colonoscopy last year but opted against it because I was feeling great. Now I'm terrified that I'll get a colonoscopy and hear, "If you had come a year earlier, we could've done something." Ugh.

Re: Issues with wider stools? (Very tmi)

I mentioned this to my gastro and he was not concerned. Mine started going pretty wide a few years ago and have mostly remained like that. He was not concerned about it so I decided to not be concerned about it either. This was 2 years after having a colonoscopy so I was a bit at ease. I am actually having another one in a few weeks so hopefully I won't find out any major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I mentioned this to my gastro and he was not concerned. Mine started going pretty wide a few years ago and have mostly remained like that. He was not concerned about it so I decided to not be concerned about it either. This was 2 years after having a colonoscopy so I was a bit at ease. I am actually having another one in a few weeks so hopefully I won't find out any major issue.
    Thank you for the reply, I hope your colonoscopy goes well! Had a weird stool today where it started out big and hard, but then the rest was relatively normal. Dealing with stomach issues is so exhausting, but your post does make me feel a bit better.

Don't mean to double post or anything. Just a quick update on this. Strained pretty hard for a stool today and saw blood smeared on it. I was freaking out (and still am) because the blood looked a little on the darker side of red, though it was hard to see. It didn't look clotted or anything. It looked fresh enough, and when I wiped it was bright red. I went again 30 minutes later. This time it was a loose stool, though it had small amounts of obvious bright red blood. So I don't know. I was scared it could be internal bleeding or something, but hopefully it's just hemorrhoids :(

You could go speak to a gastro to go get it checked out. He/She might recommend a colonoscopy just because there was blood but at 27 you are super young for any colon issues. He will check to see if any visible or palpable hemmies.

The problem with wide stools is that this can happen if they are not soft so its good to eat proper fiber to try to not be constipated so that even though they are large they are soft and you don't strain.

Sorry you are going through this, its definitely stressful. I got my colonoscopy in a couple of days and the stress is about to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    You could go speak to a gastro to go get it checked out. He/She might recommend a colonoscopy just because there was blood but at 27 you are super young for any colon issues. He will check to see if any visible or palpable hemmies.

The problem with wide stools is that this can happen if they are not soft so its good to eat proper fiber to try to not be constipated so that even though they are large they are soft and you don't strain.

Sorry you are going through this, its definitely stressful. I got my colonoscopy in a couple of days and the stress is about to begin.
    Yeah, I have a feeling my doctor will want to run a scope on me. I've tried in the past, but could never stomach the laxative drink. Though now I believe there's a much easier drink to take, so hopefully that will go well. I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, but hopeful that it's nothing serious since all of my tests and scans over the years have come back great. Good luck with your colonoscopy, I'm positive everything will be fine!

It is possible that he/she will. Usually if there is blood they will want to do it (that is why they had me do it first time). I just had mine and everything went well, no polyps, no nothing which is good news (but now need some different tests to see if there is anything wrong but its good news and I am happy). So I think that wide stools are ok and might be why you had the blood. However I would just go to a gastro and see his/her opinion and follow what they say (even though you are most likely ok with your age and just the lack of other symthoms but good to check)

Thread Information