Thread: Upcoming colonoscopy, very scared, advice appreciated

Unhappy Upcoming colonoscopy, very scared, advice appreciated

Hello! It’s been a while since I posted on this forum, I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out and give me some advice… I have made a few posts last year or so about my colon cancer fears, so I am going to sum it up (this is a little TMI, fair warning sorry!!)

I am 23f, (114 lbs, 5 ft 2) and was pretty healthy before covid (I am a long hauler), no problems prior and no history of anything bad. September 2020 I caught covid and ever since then I’ve had a ton of BM issues, this included:

• Year long on and off constipation (never constipated before this)
    • LOTS of mucus
    • Maybe blood once…
    • Oily stools and new food intolerances
    • Bloating

Then my body flip flopped last month and now:

• urge to go right when I wake up
    • very gassy
    • undigested food
    • loose stools
    • lots of mucus
    • Decrease in appetite
    • going 2-3 times a day (i know this is normal but for a year I sometimes couldn't even go once a day)

Ive been avoiding the doctor about it because for once I wanted to not freak out about a health matter, I finally broke down around Christmas and saw a doctor and she scheduled me for a colonoscopy in late February.

the thing is, I am pretty much over the colon cancer worries, rationally I know all of this started due to long haul, but I have SO MUCH fear with this procedure, I want to list them to get them off my chest:

• I have never been put to sleep before, what if I don't wake up? what if I can feel everything while I am under but cant say anything?

• What if I am allergic to the sedation? what if I stop breathing?

• What if they find a polyp or a pre cancerous polyp? Is that going to cause a life time of colonoscopies?

My two worries are the sedation and them finding polyps, I just want to wake up and be told I am perfectly fine, and I cant stop thinking about the scenarios where that doesn’t happen.

This has really effected my life for the past year or so, the only comfort I have right now is knowing my FIT test came back negative. I hate that its come down to a colonoscopy. My doctor didn't seem concerned, she was very comforting, I feel bad because I know I am probably going to start sobbing when I see her for the procedure.

If anyone has any helpful advice or could share their experience I would really appreciate it <3

Re: Upcoming colonoscopy, very scared, advice appreciated

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Why do you have to be put to sleep?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, It’s pretty common to use anesthesia for a colonoscopy in the US. I don’t really have a choice with that.

My experience having done this twice due to age and Dr. recommendations (every 5 years from age 50 and being a cancer survivor), is that the worst part is the prep. Just stay close to the bathroom and have a good book

As far as the procedure? They gave me something to relax me when I got there and then a bigger dose during the procedure. I definitely was out as I only recall being brought back to recovery. I was loopy for sure but heck, its the good stuff so

Its really not as bad as most make it out to be. Not a party mind you but eh... Besides, all the symptoms you posted are right in line with anxiety (and often diet) related stomach/bowel issues.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hello, thank you for your response I really appreciate it <3 I’m so sorry to hear you had cancer but I’m glad you’re alright now!!

I’ll keep all of this in mind and try not to worry, thank you so much again :”)

Quote Originally Posted by Airisto View Post
    Hi, It’s pretty common to use anesthesia for a colonoscopy in the US. I don’t really have a choice with that.
    Wow really. That just adds even more risks surely?

I sure hope not, I know plenty of people who’ve had procedures at this place and came out okay. It’s a twilight sedation, not full on anesthesia.

But as someone who’s never been under before it’s really hard to not worry about it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Airisto View Post
    It’s a twilight sedation, not full on anesthesia.
    That's just it... A REALLY good buzz Just don't end up on Youtube! ~lol~

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree, its not that bad. Of course I worry but this will be the 4th time I will do it and hopefully will all be ok but the first 3 times was fine and its just a really good sleep

Thread Information