Thread: Spinal Pain in teenager

Spinal Pain in teenager

Ugh, I have been good for a while now, but now my 15 year old daughter has spine pain. It's always there, but worse when she moves around. It doesn't hurt to touch, but it doesn't seem muscular and anti-inflammatories really aren't helping it at all. Her doctor isn't sure so she is going for an x-ray today. I'm so worried for her. She didn't take any spills, didn't hit it on anything, isn't in any aggressive sports, and like I said, doesn't seem muscular in nature or else pain relievers would have helped. The doctor said if we don't get a follow up call on the xray in TWO WEEKS, then to give them a call. That seems like such a long time, especially for a kid who is in pain. But I can't imagine what it could be. I have hit the worst case scenarios (tumors mostly) and I'm so stressed about it!

Re: Spinal Pain in teenager

If it makes you feel better, I had pain on, or in my spine for probably 6 months. Mid back, pain when pressing on the spine, and pain when arching my back backwards, terrible stiffness when waking in the morning, pain when stretching etc.

I don't know what caused it. I did go to the doctors once about it and they gave me pain killers and to come back if it got worse. It never got worse, but stayed the same for around 6 months or more.

I researched stuff about back pain and came to the conclusion that I had a lot of bad habits which could be causing pressure on my spine, so I;

- Changed bed mattress. I realised our mattress was old and flat, and probably not supportive enough.
    - Bought a better desk chair, with better back support.
    - Stopped bad habits such as sitting twisted in my desk chair - now I sit facing the computer.
    - I used to always sit on the floor with my back against the couch, stopped that.
    - I vaccum the house daily (a bit OCD I guess), and realised that the pipe was too short, so I was always bending over a lot. Bought a longer pipe.
    - Started doing some gentle back exercises

So what I'm saying, does your daughter do anything repetitive that could be aggravating her spine (if that's where the pain is)? Does she sit in a twisted way at all? Is her bed old? Any hobbies that could be bad for her back?

Yeah she has similar but not when pressed on. It was just straightening and moving certain ways, but now it's constant. She does have repetitive things that she does (ballet, carry heavy backpack, etc), but it's stuff she has always done with no issues. Pain killers do nothing for it. :(

Well I called my ortho's office and had them pull her scans. They did not tell me what was in them, but the receptionist called me back as soon as they got them and said the orthopedic spinal surgeon wants to see her, so she has an appt tomorrow morning. That can't be good

Could be anything, maybe the Ortho has called you in because you've rung up to chase the results?

Btw, I had a heart scan a few years ago. When I rang up to get my results, which were back, they said they'd have to get a doctor to ring me. I started worrying, but all was fine, that was just the process.

Let us know how you get on, but it's unlikely to be anything serious. Could just be a minor injury that needs rest.

Any update on this nicole?

Thread Information