Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Hi,

So been doing pretty well at controlling the HA beast but I am having a bit of a panic.

I've had IBS for years and was also told years back after a sigmoidoscopy for bleeding that I have internal piles.

For the most part I'm fine but last year I was having problems with a severe discomfort in the rectal area, felt sore, costantly feeling like I need to go etc. Visited the GP who prescribled some cream, did an internal exam and said everything felt normal but I had a small prolapse a rectocele, which was probably part of the problem.

Anyway, everything returned to normal but over the last couple of months I've had a few occasions where I've thought there might have been a bit of blood on the stool and coupled with the pain etc, I've put it down to piles.

I've been worrying about this so needless to say the IBS is in full force resulting in my having the constant urge to go and my bowel movements seem to be really soft and not formed. I've now noticed some blood on the stool, not a lot and not streaks but more like a patch on the stool.

I called the GP yesterday as I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and she thought piles or a fissure so has prescribed some strong suppositories for a week and I need to go back in it's still happening.

The thing is I'm already down the bowel cancer rabbit hole and this morning, sorry this is really gross but I checked my stool and it looks like part of the stool looks red in colour. I haven't eaten anything red so it can't be that and I think it's blood, also not bright red blood. It's also really hard to tell if it's mixed in or outside as my stools are so soft.

On top of that, I'm having really bad wind so convinced this is something terrible other than piles as everything I read said , non worrisome is bright red streaks which I don't seem to have.

The Dr felt because of the pain and discomfort it pointed to piles but I'm on the verge of ringing Bupa to try and get a sigmoidoscopy.

Sorry, just felt I needed to vent as in a bit of a state. Has anyone else had these type of symptoms with it not being something bad? Weird thing is, when I wipe nothing, no blood, just looks like part of the stool has blood on/in it but not all of it, if that makes sense.

Re: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

How are you now? Have things calmed down a bit?

Hi Deb,

Well yes and no.

I had two clear bowel movements last night and first thing this morning, so thought the suppositories were working but today after having a constant feeling of needing to poo, I went for a second time and again all down the side was some pink blood.

Anyway, I panicked, rang Bupa and have an apt with a consultant on 9th March. I also went to the Dr who examined me and said she couldn't feel anything abnormal but still thinks piles as she said the internal ones can be hard to feel due to them collapsing when the bowel is empty.

She also said because I'm having quite a lot of discomfort that also reassures her as that also ties in with piles or a fissure.

I can't relax though and thinking the worst.

How are you? I read through your post and see you are waiting on tests.

I’m hanging in there! Trying to keep the anxiety in check!

I did have some limited success with suppositories as well, they seemed to work initially and then the blood started again.

Good idea to go straight to Bupa, my GP surgery have been useless. They had to complete a referral for Bupa and that took them a month!!

Hopefully now I’m in the private system things will move quicker.

Even though is probably absolutely nothing to worry about, it’s a good idea to get things double checked just to put your mind at rest.

It’s very difficult not to worry and panic though! Piles and fissures are very common, no one really ever talks about them but they are far more likely to be the culprit than anything sinister.

Just don’t waste time googling like I have, all results lead to cancer on google!!

Hi Deb,

Unfortunately, already wasted a lot of time googling and panicking myself even more.

As you say piles and fissures are more common and my mum and nan had them really bad, my mum has also had a fistula and ongoing problems for years but I'm still worried sick.

Do you have a date for your appointment?

Are you still seeing blood or have things settled now?

I just know that when I go on the 9th I'll have another period of worry as I think that appointment will just be the initial conversation. Although my mum has seen this consultant through the NHS and said he did her sigmoidoscopy on the same day but I think as it's private it will probably just be a cosultation and then go back for any investigations.

Hope you are bearing up ok, sounds like you have already had more than your fair share of worries and tests and I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Are you maanging to sleep ok? I currently feel like a zombie.

Hi

No date yet, I have chased the Consultants secretary so hoping for a call back very soon!

I had my initial consultation on Wednesday which was just a brief chat and a quick examination. So now just waiting for the colonoscopy date.

Thankfully I have managed to get some sleep, I am already taking sertraline for anxiety so that is probably helping to take the edge off a bit.

I didn’t follow my own advice and have been googling which has only made me more miserable. I hope for both of us we can get the answers we need soon and move on, the anxiety is terrible.

I forgot to say, I still have the bleeding, mind you I’m now on my period which is heavy, so it’s harder to determine where the blood is coming from!

I have found though when drinking lots of fluid and keeping my stool soft with extra fibre, there has been less blood or none. Whether that is a good sign or not who knows!!

I hope so too Deb,

I think it does sound promising that fluids and fibre help with the blood. To me that would indicate that it's the hard stools aggravating piles or a tear?

It's amazing how you can look at someone else's symptoms and rationalise it!

I really hope you hear soon about your appointment. I think the waiting around is so hard.

As you say, fingers crossed we both get some answers soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information