Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Re: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I had to have a pelvic MRI as well as a sigmoidoscopy when I had investigations for chronic rectal pain a few years ago. I think it gives them the "full picture" so to speak.

I suspect the waiting is due to many people choosing to go private due to the NHS backlog?
    That’s interesting to know about the MRI. I think you’re right about more people choosing private treatment now, no doubt causing delays as well.

I always tell the doctor/consultant that I just want tests based on clinical need and not for "reassurance" so that makes it a bit easier to eliminate all the "additional" tests which can just throw up incidental findings which are irrelevant and benign.

I do think HA is a lucrative business for some unscrupulous doctors in the private sector though.

Sorry, I was out last night so this is the first chance I've had to reply.

Deb, yes he did a rectal examination, and pushed all around on my tummy. Interestingly enough said I had a tear which the Dr didn't see, unless it wasn't there and he said everything felt normal apart from he could tell I had a rectocele.

I know that's why he is doing the additional tests because he's a colorectal surgeon and I feel sure that he will try and talk me into surgery on the rectocele but my GP already said the surgery isn't always sucessful, it can stil return after and if you can manage it yourself then it's probably better in the long run.

So I spoke to BUPA today and they were really helpful and said they could refer me to another consultant or they would authorise the tests. However, I spoke to the hospital and actually a lovely lady in the MRI department who said that it's my body and I only should have tests I want to have. So basically I'm going for the flexible sigmoidoscopy and if after that he feels there are other concerns or things that need further examination I'll deal with it then.

I just explained that I have HA and said I really struggle with tests and bascically can't cope with having tests for things that until yesterday hadn't even entered my head! His argument was because of the pressure I feel in the rectum I needed a pelvic MRI or a pelvic ultrasound and an xray whilst defecating!!!! However, I did say to him the pressure is not there all the time and can disappear for months at a time, which is why my GP thought it was piles as she said when they swell, they can give you that feeling that you need to go.

He did say that was reassuring and he wasn't expecting anything to show up on the additional tests, so for the time being I'm having the sigmoidoscopy and will then take it from there.

Pulisa I totally agree, my GP always says it's a fine balance with HA and her view is only do tests where she actually feels there is cause for concern, otherwise she feels it has no benefit and just increases anxiety in the long run.

Have you had any news yet Deb?

Hi

I haven’t been on here for a while. Ive been trying my best to stay away from the internet and not to keep dwelling on my problem.

It has helped me mentally I must admit. My appointment is still 30th March.

I’ve been using suppositories which has helped with the bleeding, so here’s hoping it’s only piles!!

Well done, Deb. The internet never gives the "reassurance" you want but it's easy to get addicted to the search for "answers" from anyone and any source.

You've done really well to stay offline and to concentrate on finding self-help measures which are effective as you wait for your colonoscopy.

So I just wanted to update this thread to let you know I had my sigmoidoscopy today and the result is piles!

I could actually see them on the screen so that has made me feel a whole lot better.

Just as a recap in case it helps others, I had rectal pain, soreness, discomfort along with blood and mucus all along the side of the stool but nothing when I wiped. I also had an incident last week where I had a BM and the water was red but again, no blood on TP so they are internal and that was the verdict.

Just also wanted to add that if you look at symptoms of internal piles, it nearly always says they are painless. I can categorically state this isn't always the case as mine hurt like hell! So once again, don't believe everything you read!

Quote Originally Posted by Munchlet View Post

Just also wanted to add that if you look at symptoms of internal piles, it nearly always says they are painless. I can categorically state this isn't always the case as mine hurt like hell! So once again, don't believe everything you read!
    My internal Farmer Giles hurt too.

Pleased you now have an answer It’s surprising how many symptoms these minor ailments can cause. You can breathe a sigh of relief now that’s over.

Pleased you now have an answer It’s surprising how many symptoms these minor ailments can cause. You can breathe a sigh of relief now that’s over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information