Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

Re: Worried, blood in stool - having a meltdown!

That would make sense, a hard stool
    irritating the area.

I’ve had a letter emailed from the Consultants Secretary, no date for the colonoscopy though! Just xxxx where the date should be!!

Oh Deb, how frustrating!

Well at least they have sent the letter. Hopefully, they will be able to give you the date over the phone.

Keep me posted!

I now have the date, 9th March. Now the panic has well and truly set in. I hope you are coping better?

Oh glad you got that sorted. That's the same date as my consultant appointment.

I must admit I've been getting more nervous as it gets nearer but managing to sleep a bit more which is good.

How are you feeling about things, apart from being nervous which is completely understandable? In a way it can't come quick enough for me, I just need to know what's going on.

I’m a wreck to be honest. Absolutely petrified of going next week. So scared of a cancer diagnosis.

I totally understand where you are coming from and for anyone with HA it's usually one of their biggester fears.

However, we are both doing the right thing by being pro-active and getting things checked out.

Think how much more of a delay we would have it we were waiting on the NHS!

So I went for my consultants appointment today and starting to wish I hadn't. Honestly, I went because I was worried about blood in my stool and soreness/pressure in the rectum and he started saying how I needed an MRI to get full views of my pelvis and a sigmoidoscopy.

I queried this as I felt the sigmoidoscopy would be enough so then he said I need to have a pelvic ultrasound and a defecating proctogram!!! When I went back to reception they said "oh we don't do that procedure here".

I honestly felt it was all about the money. He ran half an hour late and just seemed focus on getting as many tests as possible. I asked if I could have just the sigmoidoscopy as whilst I have private medical insurance I hate the thought that someone is trying to abuse it and he said "oh that will take several weeks as we have to book theatre".

Does anyone know if I can speak to BUPA about this? I just feel he was ordering tests for the sake of it and ultimately so they can charge more money.

Hi

Sorry to hear you didn’t have a great experience today. I was hoping you’d got on better than me!!

It does seem like they are concerned about the money to me. I haven’t complained to Bupa yet as I’m still in two minds whether to wait another 3 weeks for my colonoscopy or not.

Why would you need an MRI?! I asked for a sigmoidoscopy but the consultant was insistent on doing a full colonoscopy and I can see the logic behind it. Only he wasn’t so keen when I was the only one booked in that day!

I really hoped that using private health care was going to give us both quicker results but it seems that isn’t the case!

I would contact Bupa. It seems odd, I’m not medically trained but it doesn’t seem right.

Did the consultant give you an examination at all as part of the consultation?

I had to have a pelvic MRI as well as a sigmoidoscopy when I had investigations for chronic rectal pain a few years ago. I think it gives them the "full picture" so to speak.

I suspect the waiting is due to many people choosing to go private due to the NHS backlog?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information