Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

Re: Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Glad to help

Here's a little insight into a similar thing that greatly upset my six year old mind: circa 1971 a Maltese politician - Dom Mintoff - wanted to throw out the British Forces on the island of Malta. Unfortunately the way the newspapers portrayed it (particularly the Daily Mirror), little PM thought he wanted us to leave Britain and so he went into a deep little depression, to the puzzlement of his mother and grandmother as he didn't want to talk about it. In my mind's eye I can still see little myself standing in my Nan's house by her radiogram (it was to the right of the fireplace at that time in the living room) with my Mum and Nan asking me why I was so upset.
    Blimey PM, when I was 6 I was totally oblivious to newspapers and the news in general, despite all the endless talk of Armageddon back in 1983-84 which seemed to be when all the original Cold War hysteria was coming to a head, which of course I was totally unaware of at the time.

Ditto for the various IRA attacks and also (race) riots in many of our big cities and even some of our larger towns up and down the country, plus a lot of the other horrible things going on at that time.

Innocence and ignorance really was bliss for me back then in the mid 80s, but had I been 44-45 (the age I am now) back then, I probably would have been terrified witless!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Good luck with the studying and please remember that "Armageddon" will be relegated off the front pages of the red tops tomorrow in view of today's local election results. Also Harry and Meghan's "banishment" will be a talking point so you'll be able to appreciate how fickle the gutter press can be in terms of "leading" stories...

Try not to fall for the sensationalist headline/article..The rumour mill is toxic and feeds off anxious people.
    Your dead right in the sense that the media are very fickle, especially as I walk past a large newspaper stand in my local train station every Tuesday and Thursday morning and the front page headlines about Armageddon (in the context of Putin/Russia/Ukraine) have been much less generally over recent weeks. Even Covid now seems to be water under the bridge as far as the media are concerned, as it's even getting virtually zilch coverage on the BBC and Sky News channels, let alone the front pages of our national daily rags.

Also ISIS and their attendant threats and acid attackers barely seem to get the same media attention of late compared to up until around 2018 or so when the media were forever putting the fear of God into us over them.

So my father sent a YouTube video on the family WhatsApp group. I saw the title and it had nuclear, Russia in it and of course I freaked out and left the group asap.

Is a nuclear attack due soon? As I'd like to order some alcohol in.

Thank you.

P.s. Really trying to live life and not think about the threat looming over us. As soon as I forget, then I get a reminder.

I'm not sure how to cope with this.

Quote Originally Posted by loonarider77 View Post
    So my father sent a YouTube video on the family WhatsApp group. I saw the title and it had nuclear, Russia in it and of course I freaked out and left the group asap.

Is a nuclear attack due soon? As I'd like to order some alcohol in.

Thank you.

P.s. Really trying to live life and not think about the threat looming over us. As soon as I forget, then I get a reminder.

I'm not sure how to cope with this.
    I haven't seen nor heard any talk of an imminent nuclear attack on the UK on neither the BBC nor Sky News channels today as it's all been about Boris and the confidence vote.

Over the weekend it was all about the Jubilee with scenes of loads of people packed into central London all having a fab time without a care in the world, which of course would have been a prime target for both a nuke attack (and terrorist attacks in general) and/or riots, and all seemed to pass peacefully with no major incidents reported, apart from the protesters near St Paul's Cathedral (I think) on Thursday.

Anyway, what would Mr Putin really gain from attacking us right now?

Thank you Lencoboy,

You're a voice of reason (amongst many others on this forum) when I'm feeling like this. I'm sure all getting sick of me posting in this thread, but it's because I know or at least I hope someone will help me to be rational about it all.

Thanks again

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information