Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

Hi,.I'm new here and finally plucked up the courage to post

I'm sure a lot of us are aware of the war going on between Ukraine and Russia.

It sounds selfish because I'm not the one currently being bombed, but I am so ill with fear and anxiety since Putin begun the invasion. I always told myself that if we ever get into a war, it better not be with Russia because it could lead to a retaliatory nuclear attack.

I'm from the UK and I'm hearing that men are volunteering to fight with the Ukrainians, and while that sounds pretty heroic and moral thing to do, I can't help thinking this would make Putin's choice to nuke us out of orbit possible. It's a blatant provocation.

WwIII/Nuclear war is becoming a scary reality and I feel sick from the thought and cry most days.

I just don't want to die this way, I don't want anyone to press that button.

I just need support from here if possible and please nothing that going to send me to a darker place.

I need to be rational about this, but how when we're dealing with a lunatic :(

Re: Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

I too have felt like you, there is another thread below this which mentions about this issue.

I done some reading to rationalize, despite it feeling uncomfortable in doing so I felt I had to just clear a few things up in my head, here's what I learnt.

So our friend didn't calculate the type of resistance he would face, he was/is struggling, the west imposed sanctions, he is upset his plans aren't going well so to regain some type of control/power he mentions the "N" word IF the west let's troops go in but we've been very, very clear that countries such as the UK and US WILL NOT send troops in, they know not to poke.

Also remember that there is a lot of language used in the news to sensationalise and shock to keep people engaged and it helps to make people share articles. I've also seen a fair amount of incorrect reporting, especially in Ukrainian news sources.

On a side note, I think anyone posting in this thread should be careful what is said due to the amount of panic the situation is causing. 👍

Turn off the news for a bit, keep busy and put your focus elsewhere.

There is already a long thread on this, but some of the more descriptive posts from fellow worriers may not be useful for you to read, though mods may decide to merge them of course.

Try and switch off from the news, remember we're being fed a lot of propaganda, and vague verbal threats are far from the same thing as action or likely future action. Most of all remember this is a hypothetical situation, it's not happening, at least to those of us lucky enough to be outside Ukraine. And like all hypothetical situations, worry and anxiety are not useful. It's much easier said than done sometimes, do seek professional help if you're finding it too hard.

Hey thanks for responding. Bur I'm hearing there volunteer's leaving here to fight which basically means boots on the ground from the UK. Surely, that's a massive provocation to Putin?

I'm trying so hard to be rational and failing terribly.

I get moments of feeling calm and relaxed because I also understand how silly it would be to essentially commit suicide by pressing the button. There is nothing to gain from it...

But then I'm back to the existential dread feelings.

I apologise if this has triggered anyone. Is there a way to change the title of this thread. I really don't want to cause distress to to others here. :(
    Last edited by loonarider77; 04-03-22 at 14:17.

Hi, yes checked the other war thread which didn't help but only made me feel worse.

I am currently in therapy, and it's something I've mentioned.

Thanks

'I'm hearing there volunteer's leaving here to fight which basically means boots on the ground from the UK. Surely, that's a massive provocation to Putin?'

No - these are volunteers who have decided to go of their own free will and are not part of any official UK armed forces.

I hope your therapy helps. Sometimes posting in a place like this can also help offload thoughts and get another perspective.

I also echo what Taucher said. Volunteers are a totally different story. 👍
    Last edited by Whizz; 04-03-22 at 15:26.

I think being at the mercy of a constant newsfeed (providing you choose this of course) is really detrimental to mental health. If you go outside is there any evidence of people preparing for nuclear attack? Any government guidelines/instructions in the event of a nuclear attack? Bunker locations? Food stockpiling? TV scheduling interruptions?

It's pretty much business as usual where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think being at the mercy of a constant newsfeed (providing you choose this of course) is really detrimental to mental health. If you go outside is there any evidence of people preparing for nuclear attack? Any government guidelines/instructions in the event of a nuclear attack? Bunker locations? Food stockpiling? TV scheduling interruptions?

It's pretty much business as usual where I live.
    Same here in the Midlands. Everyone just going about their normal daily business with absolutely no evidence of anything untoward or out of the ordinary happening so far, even though Covid still remains a thing. In fact, on the face of it, things actually seem to be getting closer to the 'old' normal now than they have been at any time since early March 2020.

No sign of any new and updated 'Protect And Survive' brochures on the doormat nor related PIFs on TV either, of which I read were a staple of the 70s and early 80s era.

Also, a lot of this 'red button' talk so far just seems to be vague 'idle talk' and bluffing, plus Putin hasn't actually mentioned any named targets for attack as yet either.

The Fullfact site did the other day urge us to beware of a 'historical' map image circulating on social media that notes likely locations for nuclear attack in the UK, which actually dates from the 70s (Cold War era) and is not in any way linked to what's going on right now.

Perhaps that's what some people on here have come across on social media and inadvertently been scared witless by?

Hi loonarider77! I don't know how old you are, but I'm 49, soon to be 50, and remember the Cold War days from the late 70s onwards when the USSR invaded Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979, and my mum was really freaking out, worrying that we kids would never get to grow up!

We then had Reagan calling the USSR the Evil Empire in 1982, Brezhnev threatening retaliation for any foreign countries daring to get involved in the Afghanistan war, etc. and huge miltary build ups in Europe by both sides and all kinds of war games and exercises. The NATO 'Able Archer' exercises of 1983 are now known to have almost convinced the Soviets that war was about to start! So in my own life time I've seen tremendous tension between the West and USSR/Russia, indeed the early 80s was very scary until Gorbachev became President of the USSR in 1985, Reagan toned down his aggressive rhetoric a bit, and relations with the West started improving. We then had the bizarre August coup of 1991 in Russia when Gorbachev was locked up in his summer house by the coup plotters (hard line militarists who thought he was too liberal) and there was confusion for 3 days as to who was in command of the military, including the nuclear codes. That was dodgy for everyone and NATO forces were on very high alert.

We then had the drunken Yeltsin years from 1991 to 2000 when life in Russia went crazy for ordinary people with tremendous economic suffering, anarchy, gangsterism and population decline, while the West became drunk on its success, power, and trying to make the rest of the world in its image. Putin was old school KGB and was clearly backed by said militarists who were still pissed off about the USSR collapsing. There was always going to be a reaction from Russia 'to restore order and pride in the nation', and Putin & Co. was that reaction.

Geopolitics is a game of big cojones, bluffing, brinkmanship, spying, getting away with what you can militarily and always probing your enemies' weakpoints. It's also about alliance building and staying ahead of the competition in technology. Putin is now cosying up to China - that's all part of the 'great game'. That's quite rational behaviour when you think about it. He's also even made deals with the Israelis in the Middle East concerning Syria and is heavily involved in the Iran nuclear negotiations... these are not the actions of a nutter who wants to press a big red shiny button. If that was all Putin wanted to do, well he could've done that on January 1st, 2000 when he became president. No, he made long-term plans instead...My point is that insane people don't do long-term planning like that. Whatever else he is (insert your favourite epithet here) he's not crazy.
    Last edited by Panicattacka; 04-03-22 at 16:03.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information