Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you enjoyed as a child/teenager but now find boring/uninteresting

Things you enjoyed as a child/teenager but now find boring/uninteresting

This morning I was thinking back to 1994 when I was about 16 and 3/4 to 17 years old and remembering attending a local funfair in our Castle Grounds with my brother, plus also attending theme parks like Alton Towers and (more locally to me) Drayton Manor, and thinking 'I don't get quite the same pleasure from this anymore that I used to get before, even just some 18 months earlier.

Ditto for visits to the seaside (for both holidays and singular day trips) and not forgetting Christmas.

I also recall around that same time (1994) buying a (late-model) Science Fair '60-In-One' electronics kit from Tandy/Radio Shack (remember those stores?) to replace an early 80s '50-In-One' set of which was no good any longer as many of its components no longer worked and some of its original supplied accessories had been lost over the years, and I also remember not getting quite the same sense of enjoyment out of it as I did from my previous one some 10 years earlier, even though it was basically the same, but with 10 extra wiring sequence projects, as instructed by the book supplied with the set.

Has anyone else by their late teens-early 20s, suddenly experienced a sudden lack of enjoyment of/enthusiasm for things they previously enjoyed during their childhood and/or earlier teenage years?

Also what's the phenomena called?

Re: Things you enjoyed as a child/teenager but now find boring/uninteresting

Why not talk about the passions that have replaced them, instead? Much less negative. Besides, the past doesn't exist except in our imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    This morning I was thinking back to 1994 when I was about 16 and 3/4 to 17 years old and remembering attending a local funfair in our Castle Grounds with my brother, plus also attending theme parks like Alton Towers and (more locally to me) Drayton Manor, and thinking 'I don't get quite the same pleasure from this anymore that I used to get before, even just some 18 months earlier.

Ditto for visits to the seaside (for both holidays and singular day trips) and not forgetting Christmas.

I also recall around that same time (1994) buying a (late-model) Science Fair '60-In-One' electronics kit from Tandy/Radio Shack (remember those stores?) to replace an early 80s '50-In-One' set of which was no good any longer as many of its components no longer worked and some of its original supplied accessories had been lost over the years, and I also remember not getting quite the same sense of enjoyment out of it as I did from my previous one some 10 years earlier, even though it was basically the same, but with 10 extra wiring sequence projects, as instructed by the book supplied with the set.

Has anyone else by their late teens-early 20s, suddenly experienced a sudden lack of enjoyment of/enthusiasm for things they previously enjoyed during their childhood and/or earlier teenage years?

Also what's the phenomena called?
    Getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Getting older.
    Probably right there.

Or simply 'growing up'.

I would find fairgrounds, theme parks, places like Blackpool, etc, an even bigger borefest now at the age of nearly 45, plus the rides would probably cause me to feel vertigo and/or motion sickness.

Give me a heritage site, place with gardens, craft centre, etc, somewhere out in the sticks with a nice tea room any time!

Honestly, if the entrance charges were lower I'd still go to Blackpool pleasure beach, but that's because I'm a huge geek for ride history and the place is a living museum. I don't think I'll ever stop wanting to be around rides even if I don't necessarily want to experience them first - hand.

My tastes have changed over the years, certainly, but I still have a sneaking appreciation for most of the things I liked as a kid (disclaimer: I was a weird kid).

I'm still not fond of stately homes because I've always preferred brutalism or modern architecture; by the same token, I like a good tea or coffee shop, but only if they know about what they're serving.

...That said, a good real ale House can be as traditional as anything and I won't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Honestly, if the entrance charges were lower I'd still go to Blackpool pleasure beach, but that's because I'm a huge geek for ride history and the place is a living museum. I don't think I'll ever stop wanting to be around rides even if I don't necessarily want to experience them first - hand.

My tastes have changed over the years, certainly, but I still have a sneaking appreciation for most of the things I liked as a kid (disclaimer: I was a weird kid).

I'm still not fond of stately homes because I've always preferred brutalism or modern architecture; by the same token, I like a good tea or coffee shop, but only if they know about what they're serving.

...That said, a good real ale House can be as traditional as anything and I won't complain.
    I thoroughly respect your tastes BI, even if they may not necessarily all be to my own personal liking.

Sorry, shouldn't have been such a curmudgeon.

Just had an epic panic attack, though, so that's helped me get some of my humility back

As Pulisa says, it's natural for our interests to change as we grow older. I bitterly regret that I no longer play an instrument and that my languages are a bit rusty.

What I genuinely believe, though, with all my heart, is that it's important to never stop learning. I know I get cranky, Lenco, but I hope there are still things in your life that bring you joy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Sorry, shouldn't have been such a curmudgeon.
    I don't think you're being a curmudgeon nor do I think your replies to Phil on another thread are over the top. While they're different subjects and circumstances, your replies are realistic and to the point. Of course, our interests change as we grow older. And of course, the examples of self-absorption exhibited on the aforementioned thread are obvious.

While this is an interesting subject and I could name dozens of things I did as a youth and in my younger years (as little as 5-10 years ago) that no longer interest me, it really comes down to life and growing older and shouldn't be a reason for worry or anxiety.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Exactly. I don't think it would be helpful to stagnate as a person.

Of course, our personal tastes and interests can often change over time, which all amounts to us simply being human.

I think there's sometimes that element of disappointment whenever we attempt to re-visit certain things and experiences we enjoyed in our past, and realise some years later they weren't/aren't actually quite as good as we seemed to remember them at the time. Probably due to the fact that whenever we tend to experience certain things for the very first time ever (usually during childhood), they often seem extremely fresh and exciting, but more predictable and mundane as we get older.

But at the same time there can still be other things that we still continue to enjoy and treasure the same as we always have.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information