Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you enjoyed as a child/teenager but now find boring/uninteresting

Re: Things you enjoyed as a child/teenager but now find boring/uninteresting

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Of course, our personal tastes and interests can often change over time, which all amounts to us simply being human.

I think there's sometimes that element of disappointment whenever we attempt to re-visit certain things and experiences we enjoyed in our past, and realise some years later they weren't/aren't actually quite as good as we seemed to remember them at the time. Probably due to the fact that whenever we tend to experience certain things for the very first time ever (usually during childhood), they often seem extremely fresh and exciting, but more predictable and mundane as we get older.

But at the same time there can still be other things that we still continue to enjoy and treasure the same as we always have.
    The bottom line is these should be positive recollections of our lives as opposed to disappointments Lenco.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Teenagers?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Teenagers?
    I'm glad my teenage years are long behind me.

This morning I was thinking back to 1994 when I was about 16 and 3/4 to 17 years old and remembering attending a local funfair in our Castle Grounds with my brother, plus also attending theme parks like Alton Towers and (more locally to me) Drayton Manor, and thinking 'I don't get quite the same pleasure from this anymore that I used to get before, even just some 18 months earlier.
    I'd still give the rides at Alton Towers a go if it wasn't for my spondylosis. However, my neck gives me serious gyp going over a pothole in the road so my days of riding the rollercoasters are well and truly behind me. I'm now on a sad caterpillar that goes about 5 mph because that's all my decrepit body can cope with. But I can verify that I was still on the fast-rides, screaming like a lunatic (and saying shit really loudly) into my late 30s at Alton Towers.

Alas, these days I am the sad act who has to stand there holding coats and bags while others go and enjoy themselves. Can't even stand there eating a 99 while I'm waiting because dairy has decided that it hates me.

Ditto for visits to the seaside (for both holidays and singular day trips) and not forgetting Christmas.
    Never liked holidays. Strange houses, sand in my crevices, creepy crawlies - nah..

Has anyone else by their late teens-early 20s, suddenly experienced a sudden lack of enjoyment of/enthusiasm for things they previously enjoyed during their childhood and/or earlier teenage years?

Also what's the phenomena called?
    I believe the young un's refer to this phenomena as 'meh'.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I'd still give the rides at Alton Towers a go if it wasn't for my spondylosis. However, my neck gives me serious gyp going over a pothole in the road so my days of riding the rollercoasters are well and truly behind me. I'm now on a sad caterpillar that goes about 5 mph because that's all my decrepit body can cope with. But I can verify that I was still on the fast-rides, screaming like a lunatic (and saying shit really loudly) into my late 30s at Alton Towers.

Alas, these days I am the sad act who has to stand there holding coats and bags while others go and enjoy themselves. Can't even stand there eating a 99 while I'm waiting because dairy has decided that it hates me.

Never liked holidays. Strange houses, sand in my crevices, creepy crawlies - nah..

I believe the young un's refer to this phenomena as 'meh'.
    Nice to see you back Nora.

I've been a bit concerned about you recently as you haven't posted on here since about October (I think).

But at least you're generally OK, which is the most important thing.

We all need a break but it's nice to have you back, Nora!

I've never been into theme parks but have always loved football and used to love going to live football as a child/teenager at Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace FC). I went with my Dad and have many happy memories from watching Palace's dour struggles and plummeting form..Recently I went back for a few years before Covid and home circumstances put a stop to it all. It's all corporate now so not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've never been into theme parks but have always loved football and used to love going to live football as a child/teenager at Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace FC). I went with my Dad and have many happy memories from watching Palace's dour struggles and plummeting form..Recently I went back for a few years before Covid and home circumstances put a stop to it all. It's all corporate now so not the same.
    I think 'corporate' has become the case with a lot of things in general, especially post-1995.

Even places like pubs, restaurants, charity shops, etc, have seemingly become a lot more 'corporate' over the same time period, and many no longer seem to have the same 'individuality' that they once had.

Nice to see you back Nora.

I've been a bit concerned about you recently as you haven't posted on here since about October (I think).

But at least you're generally OK, which is the most important thing.
    Thanks Lenco and it's nice to 'see' you too!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    We all need a break but it's nice to have you back, Nora!
    Thanks P.

I think 'corporate' has become the case with a lot of things in general, especially post-1995.

Even places like pubs, restaurants, charity shops, etc, have seemingly become a lot more 'corporate' over the same time period, and many no longer seem to have the same 'individuality' that they once had.
    I don't think it's just me but many things in general nowadays seem very samey and predictable, and lack the individuality and 'charm' of such things in the pre-21st Century era.

A virtual lack of originality IMO, but on the other hand, no matter what, it does seem that an increasing number of persons happen to revel in slagging off anything 'new' and 'different', but at the same time bemoan 'sameness'!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information