Thread: Surgery tomorrow

Surgery tomorrow

I have been purposefully not thinking about it and have done surprisingly well at not being distracted by it. However, surgery is tomorrow late morning and I don’t have the luxury of just forgetting about it anymore. Needless to say it has been an unproductive day. I need to have hernia repair and hydrocele removed. Combined I am looking at 1.5 hours under give or take. I am not worried about the pain afterward. I am worried about making it to the afterward part. Lol. I have had surgery before but one of those times it didn’t go well for me and I was in the hospital for a bit afterward and it was literally touch and go for a bit. I had surgery a few years after that and it went fine but the incident that went bad on me really messed me up with future surgeries. I am really worried about it and am not sure how I am gonna get myself through the door.

The most messed up part is within the last two weeks, without me looking for it, I have heard three stories regarding bad surgeries. One my buddy told me about his friend who had an emergency when the doctor nicked an artery or something like that. Then a few days after that I read about a wrestler I used to watch when I was a kid who died in surgery and then yesterday a news article popped up in my news app about a nurse who is on trial for accidentally giving a patient a paralytic instead of versed. Left the patient brain dead and eventually died. It is freaking me out. I literally hear or read nothing about surgery ever and then when I finally commit to having it I hear these stories. I feel like I am ignoring all these signs flashing in my face saying don’t do it.

My wife has been awesome at helping me through all this and I keep my game face on for my kids so they don’t worry but I am freaking out on the inside.

Re: Surgery tomorrow

Surgery went well. Now I am worried about dvt. Should I buy compression socks? I am moving around pretty good and rotating my ankles or taking “steps” while sitting.

Glad surgery went well! Getting up and moving around as much as possible should really be plenty to ward of DVT, and if you're not in any serious amounts of pain that shouldn't too difficult. But, if compression socks make you feel better I don't know that there is any negative to them?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Well a week after the hernia repair and the thing is back. I am going to have to go through all of it again. Needless to say I am angry, scared, depressed. I can’t catch a break. This is gonna ruin all the plans I had for the first half of summer with my kids.

Thread Information