Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammogram anxiety

Re: Mammogram anxiety

Thankyou carys you have definitely helped me today and I will revisit this thread when I’m overwhelmed hope you don’t mind if I post again for support I am certainly a bit calmer this evening than I have been all week

Yes she has made me feel a bit calmer just wish I could fast forward a couple of weeks

Thankyou carys you have definitely helped me today and I will revisit this thread when I’m overwhelmed hope you don’t mind if I post again for support I am certainly a bit calmer this evening than I have been all week
    You've made it all worthwhile hearing you say you feel a little bit calmer Of course come back here at any time during the horrible wait.

Thankyou xx

You know smogie, I'm of the opinion that sometimes facing your 'worst possible scenario' can help somewhat.

I'm not saying you are facing a diagnosis, fingers crossed you are absolutely not at all.

I had symptoms and I wish that people had helped me to face up to it being possible I had BC. Whilst I was desperately searching for reassurance that I'd be ok, fearing like you that I just couldn't face it and building it up to something so overwhelming that I was psychologically cracking with the fear of everything every moment of the day, everyone was saying 'oh it won't be anything', 'it'll all be clear' and so on. A crash is so much harder if you never consider the possibility that you might need treatment, be that for any illness not just BC. Of course I wanted to know I was ok so hooked onto those reassuring words from those people who said 'itll be nothing'. One person did say to me the right thing at the time - 'If it IS then it will be treated, we will deal with it'. It gave me back a feeling of slight return of control, and most importantly, it made me consider the possibility that the brick wall of diagnosis might be something that could be navigated.

I say this to you because it is something I have tried to employ since that time - facing the possibility that something in life will happen and does happen at some time for everyone, especially as they get older. Acceptance. Even if you get through your whole long life with nothing more than a cold, eventually you pass away. Living life for the day, for the joy you have with people around you, for the beauty of nature, for everything that makes you you, your hobbies, nice meals, the small things like the rain on the roof - it is the best thing you can do for yourself. Your situation will more than likely be fine, but you, me and everyone at some point will have to face something. We are fortunate that medicine is so advanced, that we have the nhs, that we have people who make it their life to make sure we stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. We need to place some trust in them, and also face up to the face that even in our 'worst scenarios' its often not anywhere near as hopeless as it may look initially.

My younger years were consumed with HA, at the very worst level imaginable. By losing some of the fear of the 'worst scenario' it made my waiting a little more bearable and manageable. I think it might work a little for you as well ?
    Last edited by Carys; 15-04-22 at 22:28.

I seem to veer from one outlook to the other last night felt calmer n more rational but this morning I’m an absolute mess shaking feel sick n crying I have never been good at facing the fear hence I’ve avoided things rather than deal with the anxiety I’ve never been in a plane or abroad didn’t take my kids on holidays and had two periods of aggraphobia I’ve spent most of my bloody life worrying and for what

You will go up and down smogie, thats to be expected, nothing is an instant fix - its about repetition and practice over quite some time. When you veer towards the 'mess' thats the time to read and repeat the things that helped before, over and over.

Thankyou it’s absolutely exhausting

Yes - running in fear is exhausting. The more you come to the point of acceptance on the things that scare you the easier it becomes. You know how it is with agorophabia too - the more you avoid situations, the more you make you life and world smaller by being scared, the smaller and more scarier the 'outside' feels.

Mornings seem to be the worst as soon as I wake up my stomach starts churning then seems to ease off as the day goes on I have to go back to work on Monday and really don’t know how I’m going to function I wish I could just give myself a slap and get a grip instead I’m just sat here overthinking and crying

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information