Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram anxiety

Re: Mammogram anxiety

I’m really not coping with this anxiety my husband thinks I’m not doing enough to get past it and maybe he’s right I just feel consumed by worry I don’t know how to get out of it

I know its tough, really tough, but you could be trying to - repeat all you know and have been told about even IF it were a diagnosis (re read this thread), you need to work very hard on not reenforcing that this is something to fear even IF they found something in the life-saving early detection screening, you should get on with major distraction and enjoying the each day - no amount of fear and worrying with change anything in that letter. You need to start thinking about beyond the letter arriving - because I tell you this - even if they found something life continues afterwards. Remind yourself that this procedure SAVES LIVES. Fear of the mammogram and what you 'might find out' puts many off having it, its a fairly common emotional response - you could spend some time, rather than living in fear of the letter, looking up some advice about 'fear of mammograms'. There are articles out there, many, that tell you about tips to overcome your fear.....here is one but its literally the first that came up for me....

https://www.healthimages.com/tips-ov...mmogram-fears/

There are plenty more, and UK based ones. So, instead of thrasing about in fear, try taking control by finding advice on dealing with the screening I think he's right in one way, no matter how fearful you are, there is always something positive and better for your mental health than living with the gut-churning fear - there is always something you can do, even small, that is a better way to try and counteract the fear.
    Last edited by Carys; 17-04-22 at 12:33.

Thankyou I am trying but feels like I’ve got myself in n a deep hole and can’t get out I have been with family this afternoon and it was very hard to stay engaged but at least I wasn’t sat at home crying thankyou for the link I’ve had a quick look will read it properly now and try and use the information I have a long shift at work tomorrow hopefully will be able to focus on work thankyou for reading and responding it does help x

I’m going to ring the clinic this morning see if they can tell me anything I’m also going to ring my gp as I think I need to see someone about my mental health cbt is just not working for me

I think being at work will help because you won't have so much free time on your hands to ruminate over something which isn't a fact.

You may get some information from the clinic but they may be unhelpful and say that if you haven't heard after 4 weeks then to ring again which I know is not what you want to hear. Speak to your GP though because he or she may think a short course of low dose diazepam could be called for if you feel unable to function and the anxiety is unbearable.

Rang the clinic the scans haven’t even been looked at explained how I was feeling and she is gonna look out for them and ring me when my letter is done and I can go and collect it but this could be two or three weeks I can’t be like this for that long

smogie - you have to learn to 'play the game' the same as everybody else here with the clinic, this isn't a one-off that you will need screening, it will be every 3 years and you honestly need to find strategies. What if you ring and find out that the radiologist hasn't even got round to reviewing scans from your day yet - as it hasn't been that long at all ? You will still be in the panicking place anyway. Ringing the GP and requesting their help is a good idea though.

Rang the clinic the scans haven’t even been looked at explained how I was feeling and she is gonna look out for them and ring me when my letter is done and I can go and collect it but this could be two or three weeks I can’t be like this for that long
    Yes, just as I expected, and wrote above (as you were typing your reply). Unfortunately, they simply can't change the timescales for anxious people - that doesn't trump anybody else, they have a very fixed method that is fair to all. If women who have had cancer have to wait 3-4 weeks for their results and might even have a recurrence, then I'm afraid that all the screening women will be in the same boat. Its hard, very very hard, but you honestly need to learn to find strategies and do contact your GP today. DId you look up and try advice from any 'Mammogram anxiety' articles ?
    Last edited by Carys; 19-04-22 at 09:53.

You’re absolutely right Carys I cannot expect special treatment I have put an e consult in with the gp they will get back to me I’ve had a cbt session this morning and she has given me some exercises to do and is going to email me some stuff to read and watch I have read and re read all the advice on here and on the links people have kindly suggested just need to hammer them home the therapist is recommending I be stepped up to level three? I don’t know what this will involve but today was session five of six so am definitely going to need something regardless of my results

That all sounds very proactive, well done for taking that action - and it sounds like your therapist is on the ball too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information