Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coping with Change

Re: Coping with Change

Hi!
    I am Wows Premium and I am here a new user . I read a few words of your above story . I like this and your I like your efforts . I appreciate you and I give vote to you.
    Thanks.

I'm admittedly a bit frustrated today. I had contacted two therapists; one has not responded and the other responded right away, asking about insurance and letting me know she had availability next week. I responded to her shortly, told her my insurance and that I knew she was in-network and she hasn't gotten back to me. That was a couple of days ago.

I also called my doctor on Monday to ask about prescribing my fluoxetine, which he had mentioned at an appointment a couple of weeks ago that he could refill, and no response on that either. I offered to come in for an appointment if I needed to, though I thought (hoped) he could just send it to the pharmacy. The receptionist told me she'd let me know, but nothing.

And...I have my dog's appointment tomorrow, got everything I needed from my regular vet but I had asked the receptionist there as well about refilling my dog's anxiety medications (also on Monday) and was told they'd get back to me and again, nothing.

I don't want to come across as a pest, but these are all things that I thought would be easily handled and to get nothing but walls is kind of irritating.

For the rest of it...I'm hanging in there. My dad's scan is next week and their follow up appointment the week after. Still waiting for my brother's baby to come. Both of my parents are acting so normally and that's great for them but I can't understand it, as I am absolutely falling apart. My mom is coming with me to my dog's appointment tomorrow but...I'm afraid of bad news and I'm not sure how I would share it with her if there was bad news. She loves my dog. I don't want to stress or upset her any further than she must be now.

A couple of my friends are getting together on Saturday night to hang out, as their husbands will be out of town. I said I would attend and likely will, though I admit I feel like it's going to be me staring sadly at a wall while they talk eagerly about their summer trips, husbands, new jobs, etc. I'm just not much fun right now unfortunately.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

It's no problem complaining about all of the issues you've had the past few days. When it's something that should be simple as seeing a therapist, collecting medicine, and not hearing back from the vet on which is all something that should be easy for them to do, it's all perfectly understandable. Your not a pest at all and your rightfully irritated by all these delays, it's only natural to be annoyed and frustrated I hope the best for you dad when next week comes, and same with your pet, hopefully it'll all be good news from the scan and vet, so you can put your mind at ease a little. It's wait and see again with all these issues, but I do hope again the best for you, so hang in there

If you do attend getting together with your friends, I think it would be good for you. Even if you do feel sad and don't contribute to any conversations, a little break and relaxation from everything with something more normal would be good for you I know it all seems so negative and scary right now with everything in your life, and those of us with anxiety and depression only get it worse from such times, but better days will come for you.

Thank you, once again.

I did manage to go out with my friends for drinks and dinner on a patio on Saturday night. It was a nice little break from things. I also was able to get outside and walk with my dog, which was nice, though I sprained a muscle in my back, so had to go slowly.

I have a therapy appointment next Monday; I wish it was sooner but better then than not at all. Hopefully it goes well. Still haven't heard from my doctor but will call again to see about getting the script refilled.

The vet appointment was both good and bad. They didn't see anything sinister on the ultrasound, but he still has a fever and his ALKP is still rising so...no idea what is wrong, really. I think I'm going to have to go to the vet school but am afraid I'll pay a lot for a bunch of tests for them to just say they don't know.

My dad's appointment is tomorrow. I'm really not sure if they'll give him any results at that point or if he has to wait until next Wednesday to know anything for sure. It's really hard to wait and my mind is just in circles - I start to feel a little better and then reality hits and I panic. But I'm trying to take things one day at a time.

I'm happy to hear you had a nice time with your friends, and you've managed to have a break from everything going on I hope your therapy session goes well and is helpful, and good luck again with getting through to the doctor about your medicine for the anxiety.

In regards to your pet I'm happy they didn't find anything sinister with ultrasound If you are worried though, then maybe going to the vet school is a good idea. Better to be safe than sorry. Of course money wise I understand your point. The fear they might just give you the same answer would mean a waste of money with no results or answers. At the same though if there is something wrong with him, then they could possible find it and do something which would be worth it. And if it's a normal illness he could recover, then you would have some peace of mind. I can't make the decision for you, but can only say if you think you need to do that, then do so.

I hope your dad's scan went well now he's had it. Normally from what I understand they don't tell you the results until your next appointment, but I hope it's good news Taking things one day at a time is the best way to deal with so much going on again, and hopefully there things will improve and your anxiety, stress and depression will be able to calm down again

Thank you. I probably will contact the vet school, but I may wait until next week after my dad's appointment. His scans went well, though I was hoping they would tell him something like "everything looks good to me!" but apparently they did not. Which of course the tech can't make any determinations, I just remember when I had an abdominal ultrasound the tech at the time said the doctor would confirm, but it all looked good to them. So it's hard not to let my anxiety latch onto that and think they must have seen something scary and that's why they didn't say anything. But then, I wasn't there so maybe they did say something and it just wasn't relayed.

His appointment was supposed to be next Wednesday but they moved it to day later, so a week from today. I'm not sure why they moved it but it's a bit frustrating to not know sooner. Of course my anxious mind is thinking that's one more day without the bad news that is surely coming, so I'm trying to fight that thought process as much as I can.

Life just feels really harsh, and I know it's that way for really everyone. But again, one step at a time, one day or hour or minute at a time.

I hope it goes well if you do contact the vet school I'm happy your dad's scan went well, and try not to worry too much. I think it's standard procedure they don't tell you anything until afterwards, when I had a MRI in the past it wasn't until when my doctor saw me few weeks later that they told me it was all okay, as generally it's your doctor who will review everything afterwards and inform you in your next appointment. Of course I am in the UK with the NHS so I wouldn't know the differences, but this does feel like normal procedure, and as you said you were not there so it's possible the tech did say it looks good to your dad

I wouldn't think anything of them moving it a day later, we still do live in the COVID era and they're is probably plenty of people they have appointments, operations, waiting lists and more that their having to catch up and doctors needing to do multiple things. Of course it's annoying when you have a anxious mind, but it's just one day later.

Your doing well with all this, your in the place now where all the fears, anxiety and worst case thoughts will be formed in your head. Just try to get through every step at a time until you get to your dad's appointment next week, and then will finally know all the facts about what's going on, and can go from there

I had my therapy session yesterday. It was nice to do it via telehealth because I could stay home and my cat sat on my lap throughout . Overall, it was just a lot of answering questions and doing admin type stuff but I really did like my therapist and we are meeting again next week. I think it will likely be helpful, but admittedly it's hard for me to justify even the co-pay cost, thinking there are better ways to spend my money. She did mention that her own father had a prostate cancer scare and all was fine and that there is a lot of advancements in research so that things are caught and treated very early even if they are an issue.

I've had a bit of a struggle the past few days thinking about how I need to switch careers and trying to decide what to do about that. It's so scary, especially with basic costs continuing to rise and me feeling like I've just been wasting my time. I've also had a migraine for the past few days, which doesn't help with productivity at all.

My dad meets with the doctor Thursday, so it's going to be tricky. I went out hiking with my dog last weekend and admittedly thought "wow, next weekend is going to be different" because of that news. But some of that may just be me feeling low and deciding to stay that way.

I will likely call the vet school sometime next week. I need to call his regular vet and ask about his medication, and schedule him for a heartworm injection as well, which I am dreading, but not quite as much as the vet school trip. I hate dragging him to another vet and it seems like there are just so many different tests and it's very possible they could run a bunch and still not have any answers. That makes me feel incredibly low as well.

I think that this is the problem with a vet running a whole gamut of tests at vast expense to you. They often produce the useless inconclusive result which the vet dismisses as routine "but we could always try this" and so the costs continue to spiral with no benefit to your pet. I would be very careful about what you agree to in terms of tests/procedures. You want to benefit your dog not your vet's burgeoning bank balance and you need to be assertive and in control of decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think that this is the problem with a vet running a whole gamut of tests at vast expense to you. They often produce the useless inconclusive result which the vet dismisses as routine "but we could always try this" and so the costs continue to spiral with no benefit to your pet. I would be very careful about what you agree to in terms of tests/procedures. You want to benefit your dog not your vet's burgeoning bank balance and you need to be assertive and in control of decisions.
    Yes, and I suspect that I'll have to be particularly firm with the vet school (from reviews I've read). Searching online it seems there are a whole range of tests they can run, and it's totally possible they'll find nothing at the end of it anyway. So I need to see I guess if they can tell me what their best guess is, and then we can try to treat that and see what happens. I'm a bit frustrated as so far it's just been a lot of "IDK" on the vet end and that makes me feel pretty helpless.

It was a lot easier when he tore his CCL - it was an expensive injury for sure, but they were able to say "this is the problem, here is our solution" which to be totally honest made spending the money that much easier because at least there was an end goal. And it was an end goal that required three total trips to the vet, which made him happy as well.

In hindsight I should have gotten insurance on him - but never before have I had or needed insurance, and by the time I realized it would be good for us I figured everything would be considered pre-existing anyway for all the times he's seen the vet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information