Thread: Brain zaps

Brain zaps

Hey
    I have been on citalopram a long time. I used to be on 20mg and have been on 10mg for around 2 years. My anxiety has been very low lately and my mental health very good although I have periods of brain zaps. I take my tablets same time every day and havnt missed any so does anyone know why? I have a theory that I get them bad when I have lots of sugar? I have lots of high sugary snacks this morning and then by afternoon I had the brain zaps. As well as tiredness from work. This probably isn't the reason but it's the only connection I can find

Re: Brain zaps

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny13 View Post
    Hey
    I have been on citalopram a long time. I used to be on 20mg and have been on 10mg for around 2 years. My anxiety has been very low lately and my mental health very good although I have periods of brain zaps. I take my tablets same time every day and havnt missed any so does anyone know why?
    It could be any number of things, but my guess is the dose is too low. ADs work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) in the hippocampal regions of the brain and this requires plasma levels to be high enough to saturate about 80% of the brain's serotonin transporter molecules to initiate and sustain the process. There is no readily available diagnostic test to determine the dose needed to achieve 80% saturation, but 20mg/day will ensure it for most people, 10mg is borderline at best. I suspect that something has changed that has caused plasma levels to drop below the neurogenesis threshold.

Increasing the dose should solve the issue, but given how well you're doing you could try coming off the med to see if you can manage without it. Either would be better a better option than remaining on 10mg.

Thread Information