Thread: OCD and Rabies

OCD and Rabies

Hello, all. Let me preface this with saying I have diagnoses OCD and health anxiety so I am almost 99% sure this is silly. (I take fluvoxamine for my OCD).
    My wife and I were working outside today getting our home ready for the spring and we heard squeaking coming from my garage/shed combo and I investigated. I’m torn on if it was a mouse or a bat, but it was up higher almost sounding like it was in the walls or roof. This all happened around 7PM EST so it was still daylight.
    I didn’t find anything when I looked so I kept working and was blowing out my garage later with my blower and turned my back to the area I heard the squeaking coming from. Later in the day, I kept worrying about it being a bat and found a small scratch on my calf that I didn’t see before then (most likely from yard work as we were pulling out weeds and raking and other junk).
    Now I cannot get it out of my mind that it could have been a bat (even though it sounded like a mouse as well when I looked up the noises on YouTube) and it could have scratched me or bit me when I had my back turned or something.
    Let me be clear: I saw no bat or felt no bat on my skin during the day. I just heard the noise through the wall a couple times when I was listening for it.
    I wasn’t too concerned about this because my wife calmed me down but then I got the stupid idea to call my insurance nurse line and she told me to wash profusely and head to the my PCP in the morning. I plan on it but am worried because I’ve heard horror stories about the high cost of bat bites and don’t have the money to drop 10k for a couple shots to ease my OCD.

Last edited by nomorepanic; 31-03-22 at 20:06. Reason: admin removed picture

Re: OCD and Rabies

Nahhhh... HA mindset creating fantasies to panic you is all.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: OCD and Rabies

Oh god, you sound just like me /: my OCD and health anxiety love to overlap and ruin my life whenever I remember rabies exists. I've also looked into bat noises on YouTube to compare random sounds I've heard around my house and outside to try and determine if I've heard bats or not. I was once convinced I had bats living in my walls because I would hear chirping and rustling in one part of my house and it turned out that a bird had built a nest and laid eggs on top of my air conditioner outside lol. You are absolutely fine. You were fully conscious and aware, and even if a bat was present it was minding its own business somewhere. I hate to see other people going through this hell and checking themselves for bite marks and attributing every random mark and scratch and blemish to ninja bats. Those shots are not only expensive, they can have awful side effects and you do not want them if you do not absolutely need them. I got them a few years back when I definitely didn't need them and they actually gave me mild rabies like symptoms for a couple weeks and made my anxiety a million times worse. You also have to keep going back for the next shots every week or so until they're fully done once you start, even if you change your mind halfway through the process. Any medical advice hotline HAS to treat things as if they are worst case scenario in order to avoid lawsuits, which is awful for our health anxiety but usually just results in a long trip to the ER over nothing. I'm sure your actual doctor will laugh it off. I hope you start feeling better, and please don't go down the rabies anxiety rabbit hole.

Thread Information