Thread: Weird sensation when trying to fall asleep

Weird sensation when trying to fall asleep

Hi everyone,

I’ve been such an anxious mess since January. Constantly worried about my heart and lungs after having COVID in January. I still don’t feel 100% and it worries me that something is extremely wrong. Although I’ve had a chest X-ray done for lingering cough and everything was okay.

Im even anxious about my heart rate, I keep hyper focusing on it and sometimes feeling it thump in my back. Or just feeling it trying to fall asleep at night.

Anyways, another thing is now making me anxious. Today I tried to nap and I had this weird sinus tingle sensation in the bridge of my nose and forehead. I was trying to sleep and got this rush or maybe quick dizziness that woke me up quickly. Then it happened again, seems to happen shortly after closing my eyes.

Could this be sinus related? It’s very odd as it didn’t happen last night. It’s also a very different feeling than when you get that “falling” sensation when going to sleep. This mostly feels like it’s in my forehead, so weird.

Re: Weird sensation when trying to fall asleep

I get this ... it's horrible. It use to happen every time I was on the brink of sleep! I would get jolted away! I get many other things too - internal vibration, brain zaps, panic attacks, I have parasomnia which is a sleep disorder but luckily for me its only bad if I'm really stressed or have high anxiety. It's all caused by build up of cortisone in your blood stream and your body trying to release it as your muscles rest .... frustrating but nothing dangerous.

There are many normal physical and phycological experiences we have when we're on the brink of sleep. Totally normal and common. The anxiety mindset can and does create sinister associations with them and IMO, that is the case here.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you both!
    I believe it was definitely due to a bit of sinus issues from chronic allergies but anxiety making it worse. I’m feeling better now and was able to get a good nights sleep.

Thread Information