Thread: Possible bite?

Possible bite?

Hey there! I just got home from camping (US) and yesterday morning I noticed a red slightly raised mark on my neck with no itching or pain with what looked like two very small dots. My first thought was a bat bite but I was in a closed tent and had my sister sleeping there with me. No bats were found in our tent at any point nor did I see any bats during the camping trip in general but a medium sized spider was in our tent this morning when we were breaking down the tent to leave. Is it possible this was just a spider bite? I would include a picture but it’s hard to get a clear photo of the bite. I’m just worried because I’ve had a rabies fear in the past and I want to know if I should get the rabies shots now since this only happened yesterday and I don’t want to wait until it’s too late.

Re: Possible bite?

I would say no but I also know that won't quell your worry

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If its not an old scratch or pimples I'd say the spider is definitely your culprit

So not considered an exposure because no bat was seen? The mark doesn’t hurt at all and never did so that’s why I’m worried it’s not a bug bite because it definitely doesn’t seem like a pimple

A raised red mark with two dots sounds like you likely just grazed your own skin in your sleep and the red dots are hair follicles that got irritated. Happens to me all the time when I scratch my arm or shoulder at night. Not quite sharp enough to leave a clear scratch on my skin other than a mark or mild welt, but enough to make the raised follicles slightly bleed. And its always just two that I manage to get, so my mind goes crazy

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be considered an exposure if no bat was seen. You're gonna be fine. I find weird little two pronged bite looking marks on myself pretty often that don't hurt or itch, they just scab over and are perfect size for a bat bite. I constantly worry about bats biting me in my sleep because I live in a pretty old house and always stress about them getting in, but my doctors refuse to give me the vaccine booster I want whenever I freak out about it because they don't think there's any risk since I've never actually seen a bat in my house, and deep down I know they're right. I don't know if its a spider biting me at night or me scratching an itch too hard without realizing but despite my rabies anxiety, I'm not dead yet. We just hyperfocus on awful and extremely unlikely things because of our anxiety and OCD. You're gonna be alright. Talk to your doctor about it if it'll make you feel better, I'm sure they'll tell you not to worry about it.

Thank you for this, I appreciate it a lot. My ocd does tend to turn to the worst case scenario. I’ll try to work on accepting that it’s very unlikely and I’ll most likely be okay.

Thread Information