Thread: MAOIs

MAOIs

Anyone tried an MAOI for panic disorder?

Re: MAOIs

Quote Originally Posted by bluewalls View Post
    Anyone tried an MAOI for panic disorder?
    I was on phenelzine (Nardil) in the late 1980s/early 1990s for PD and I rate it the most effective AD I've been on. The problem I had with it was that few of my meals were home cooked so I couldn't be sure what was in them and there are foods which needed to be avoided, mostly aged products such as cheeses, cured meats, some wines, soy sauce, etc. Food technology has changed a lot since then and there are now relatively few items which cause problems. Should I need to quit my current AD my preferred option will be switching to another MAOI, tranylcypromine (Parnate).

You can find a great deal of information on MAOIs at Dr Ken Gillman's PsychoTropical website. Dr Gillman is a world authority on serotonin, particularly serotonin syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I was on phenelzine (Nardil) in the late 1980s/early 1990s for PD and I rate it the most effective AD I've been on. The problem I had with it was that few of my meals were home cooked so I couldn't be sure what was in them and there are foods which needed to be avoided, mostly aged products such as cheeses, cured meats, some wines, soy sauce, etc. Food technology has changed a lot since then and there are now relatively few items which cause problems. Should I need to quit my current AD my preferred option will be switching to another MAOI, tranylcypromine (Parnate).

You can find a great deal of information on MAOIs at Dr Ken Gillman's PsychoTropical website. Dr Gillman is a world authority on serotonin, particularly serotonin syndrome.
    Yeah, I’ve found Dr. Gillman. I think I’m gonna try to get my psych to give me Nardil or Parnate. Some people claim an MAOI was like a miracle for them after a lot of antidepressants didn’t work. I feel like it’s too good to be true. Oh well. Guess I’ll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewalls View Post
    Some people claim an MAOI was like a miracle for them after a lot of antidepressants didn’t work. I feel like it’s too good to be true. Oh well. Guess I’ll find out.
    The MAOIS do have a pretty good track record of working when everything else has failed. Your biggest problem could be finding a doctor willing to subscribe them. Very few will have had any experience of them and much of the medical literature they rely on when choosing meds will be either incomplete, outdated, or just plain wrong about MAOIs. Many psychiatrists are just as ignorant. The other problem is that MAOIs are becoming hard to get due to a lack of demand and may cost much more that SSRIs, SNRIs, etc, so your insurance company might baulk too. This is even starting to becoming an issue with some of the tricyclic class ADs.

Thread Information