Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Awaiting scan after high ca125 test

Re: Awaiting scan after high ca125 test

Quote Originally Posted by Laceymay View Post
    Going through this at the moment. CA 125 over 100 … will be having the cyst removed but is it really true that benign growths can elevate this test result ? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer
    Hi Laceymay, sorry you are going through this, the anxiety that this test can cause is horrible.

I’m not a doctor however over the past year I have been obsessing about ca125. It seems that unless the test was done following a cancer diagnosis, it is relatively inaccurate, particularly in premenopausal women.

After speaking to multiple doctors including a consultant gynaecologist oncologist, they have all said that the test is so unreliable as it can be raised for many reasons including menstruation, endometriosis, fibroids and a cyst can definitely increase levels. It’s good that you are having your cyst removed ! Hopefully this will give you more reassurance.

Despite this I’m still worried about my level, I’m having another blood test on Wednesday to see if my levels have gone down and I’m terrified. Nothing was seen during my ultrasound, which almost gives me more anxiety as I don’t know what’s caused my rise, or if they have missed something sinister as I heard ultrasounds are only 75% effective in finding problems on the ovaries.

The only thing I am trying to tell myself is that it was done on the first day of my period. The sonographer who did my scan actually told me that she wished GPs wouldn’t do that blood test as it causes so much anxiety and can be elevated for absolutely anything.

All the best with removal of the cyst xx

So I had my repeat ca125, it has come back at 95. Has risen from 52, I’m terrified.

Quote Originally Posted by Js27 View Post
    So I had my repeat ca125, it has come back at 95. Has risen from 52, I’m terrified.
    UPDATE*
    After an initial ca125 of 52, a clear pelvic ultrasound, a repeat ca125 of 95, a normal hysteroscopy, polyp removal, normal biopsy and a normal colonoscopy….. my final ca125 reading was 54. Still above what it should be but not trending upwards. My advice is please be aware of what time of your cycle you are on when doing this test, menstrual Fluctuations can cause up to three-fold increases in ca125 levels!
    Possible this is due to endo but awaiting more info from my gynae.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information