Thread: AFIB

AFIB

Hi there

I'm interested to know how many people on here with anxiety and panic have suffered a AFIB attack?

I have and it's absolutely a awful feeling. I'm now living in constant fear waiting on it happening again.

I've had 4 attacks since last july when I had covid that's what seems to have triggered it .

I've suffered svt and ectopics a long time but this is so much worse. I'm really struggling to live with this fear .

I'd be grateful to hear of anyone else going through this and how you are coping?

Thanks xx

Re: AFIB

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

No one ?

Quote Originally Posted by molly15 View Post
    No one ?
    Hi Molly15,

I thought I'd chime in since I've had heart arrhythmias since around 13 years old (27 years ago) and they have VERY OFTEN scared me to the point I often thought "this is it, I'm dying, or close". I more often have sinus tachycardia, sometimes SVT, PVC's (those skipped beats / flutters) and what I suspect to be runs of A. fib once in a while.

I say "suspect" because I've never had any while having an electrocardiogram or 24h holter, etc. But the feeling (to me) is randomly, often, but not always, like my heart starts beating chaotically for a couple seconds, sometimes 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 runs, and I feel totally out of whack. By chaotic, I mean: it seems to be doing plenty of quick irregular beats that I feel to the point I have to stop myself. Panic sets in automatically, or at least a very high level of alertness, but I don't know if everyone lives it that way, I also have panic disorder so maybe I'm more vulnerable to the sudden rush of panic.

EACH time it has happened, I was days worrying myself pseudo-insane about it reoccurring, sometimes longer than others depending on my willpower to not succumb to days and days of panic attacks here and there just anticipating or fearing them.

By the way, is that how you experience yours, the Afib episodes? I mean the physical chaotic beat I described? I'm curious because I had just come on here right now in search of answers to what Afib actually feels for others and if they have managed to live long with them.

In any case, if ever you judge what I have to be Afib, so far I am still alive if it can reassure you.

I'd also add, and this even some cardiologists told me and I have seen a direct correlation with at least a couple of factors: emotional burdens / worries / issues often make me more predisposed to having them. For example, I learn my girlfriend and I might break up, I have at least tachycardia and sometimes what I describe and think is Afib runs.
    Other factors are worrying about them (ironically). I don't know if this is proven beyond a doubt but I have noticed that in myself.
    I also drink a lot of coffee and I've read it can make them worse / more frequent. Same thing for smoking (cigarettes). Sometimes you might think you're drinking too much but some people have a higher sensitivity to caffeine and/or other stimulants.
    Fatigue - not sleeping enough, or sleeping irregular hours, that too.

You mention "4 attacks since last July", how long would you estimate each episode to last? Are they runs that last for hours (I don't know if that's even a thing), several minutes, a minute, less? And if say a minute, do you have "rests" between multiple runs or it's one long run? Also, did they happen during exercise (or maybe just after exercise)? Not that I'm suggesting that would be worse, I just often had them kick off that way.

I'm no expert in Afib, I even describe what I think is Afib when I myself experience it, and don't know if longer than a minute runs are a thing (although I'm pretty sure I've had some that were a small duration, then another one maybe a minute or more later) but if they are relatively "short" like mine, all I can say is Hang in there. I'm pretty sure I've had times when I had 4 or more within a year. And I think (man I wish I'd noted them all) I can then be longer periods without.

Wish you all the best.

Hi yes afib can last for hours or days and some people are in permanent afib. I have paroxysmal afib which means I have episodes the longest lasting 2 hours. 2 hours of hell heart racing to 180 and very irregular, there is no normal beats just completely erratic also lots of missed beats one after the other . You will know if you have it it feels totally different. It's scary and it really has messed me up anxiety wise . Worrying about the next episode. It seems to be ectopics that sets my afib off . It's exhausting living in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by molly15 View Post
    Hi yes afib can last for hours or days and some people are in permanent afib. I have paroxysmal afib which means I have episodes the longest lasting 2 hours. 2 hours of hell heart racing to 180 and very irregular, there is no normal beats just completely erratic also lots of missed beats one after the other . You will know if you have it it feels totally different. It's scary and it really has messed me up anxiety wise . Worrying about the next episode. It seems to be ectopics that sets my afib off . It's exhausting living in fear.
    How would you describe them? I'm not sure if what I have is afib but the way "it" happens, just like maybe an hour ago, I was forcing myself to take a walk even though when I have more tachycardia (apparently sinus tachy & sometimes SVT) I tend to wait till my resting pulse is lower (it varies throughout the day) for a walk. Anyhow, I was walking, pulse maybe between 168 & 180 (I know, high for just walking but it often does that) and then I had what I'd describe as a "flutter", like a rapid succession butterfly wing like feeling in the heart, for what maybe was 4 very rapid "beats".

Is that likely afib? When I've had holters I was not able to reproduce it (ironically), and on electrocardiograms, some PVC's and/or PAC's showed up from time to time but not those "runs" cuz I simply didn't have them DURING, even during a treadmill test (again, ironically).

I've had those on and off throughout the years since my teenage years (now 41, male, normal weight) and it scares me a lot lately.

Thread Information