Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going for my first heart tests, what to expect?

Going for my first heart tests, what to expect?

Hi everyone,

I finally told my doctor my heart related worries and fears and I requested some tests for peace of mind. I sometimes get heart palpitations, and I find my heart rate has always been a bit high. Possibly from anxiety. But I can feel my heart beat all the time. Which obviously builds up to the nerves.

The cardiac office called and they left a message for me to call back and book an appointment. I feel anxious to call back. This is a huge thing for me, I’ve always been too afraid to get tests done but I realize it’s important. I’ve never had any heart tests before and I’m 29 years old.

What are your experiences? I’ve asked for an ECG, but in the message she said “some heart tests” so I’m not sure what they will do. I’m a bit nervous to call back and set the appointment but I know it will be good to get checked.

Re: Going for my first heart tests, what to expect?

Just go and get it checked or you will never move on from this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_thoughts View Post
    Hi everyone,

I finally told my doctor my heart related worries and fears and I requested some tests for peace of mind. I sometimes get heart palpitations, and I find my heart rate has always been a bit high. Possibly from anxiety. But I can feel my heart beat all the time. Which obviously builds up to the nerves.

The cardiac office called and they left a message for me to call back and book an appointment. I feel anxious to call back. This is a huge thing for me, I’ve always been too afraid to get tests done but I realize it’s important. I’ve never had any heart tests before and I’m 29 years old.

What are your experiences? I’ve asked for an ECG, but in the message she said “some heart tests” so I’m not sure what they will do. I’m a bit nervous to call back and set the appointment but I know it will be good to get checked.
    Hi, firstly, it sounds like you requested the tests so there should be no alarm of them calling you - it's not like they noticed something and ran to call you.

Secondly, I am in the US like you, the general tests usually are:

ECG/EKG - this takes a few seconds and almost never finds anything in anxious people since it's so short

Echo
    - this is a ultrasound of the heart, just like a pregnant lady gets an ultrasound on her stomach. Takes just a few minutes and assesses the structure of the heart among other things. This is a good one to get done because most likely you are fine having this test will allow you to discount any anxiety around "what if my heart is not structurally normal" which is often mentioned in palp related resources. This is also good as the heart structure doesn't just "change", so if it's good today it should be fine in 2 years as well, so it's long lasting assurance.

Treadmill test - They probably some wires to you (with sticky tape) and have you run on a treadmill to see how the heart acts on exercise. This is another good one for reassurance

There are probably more complicated tests but considering your age those 3 should knock out most anxieties your mind can come up with.

You can probably just call and ask what tests they plan to do as well.

One last thought - I am QUITE familiar with the "thought circle" of having anxiety but then being afraid to take tests. What I will say is that a good mindset to have is that most likely the tests will find nothing wrong and even if they do find something its better to deal with it now rather than kick it down the road. Considering your age the chances of anything significant being found are near zero.

Quote Originally Posted by panicdad View Post
    Hi, firstly, it sounds like you requested the tests so there should be no alarm of them calling you - it's not like they noticed something and ran to call you.

Secondly, I am in the US like you, the general tests usually are:

ECG/EKG - this takes a few seconds and almost never finds anything in anxious people since it's so short

Echo
    - this is a ultrasound of the heart, just like a pregnant lady gets an ultrasound on her stomach. Takes just a few minutes and assesses the structure of the heart among other things. This is a good one to get done because most likely you are fine having this test will allow you to discount any anxiety around "what if my heart is not structurally normal" which is often mentioned in palp related resources. This is also good as the heart structure doesn't just "change", so if it's good today it should be fine in 2 years as well, so it's long lasting assurance.

Treadmill test - They probably some wires to you (with sticky tape) and have you run on a treadmill to see how the heart acts on exercise. This is another good one for reassurance

There are probably more complicated tests but considering your age those 3 should knock out most anxieties your mind can come up with.

You can probably just call and ask what tests they plan to do as well.

One last thought - I am QUITE familiar with the "thought circle" of having anxiety but then being afraid to take tests. What I will say is that a good mindset to have is that most likely the tests will find nothing wrong and even if they do find something its better to deal with it now rather than kick it down the road. Considering your age the chances of anything significant being found are near zero.
    Hi there, yes I requested it because of my terrible heart anxiety after having COVID. I finally have my appointment tomorrow. Super nervous but I know it will be so worth it.

They told me it’s an ECG, ultrasound, and a 72 hour holster. Basically what you’ve said!
    Now I just need to keep my anxiety calm, it’s been a rough weekend and I had a panic attack last night thinking about it.

Im sure they will notice my fast heart beat, just praying to god nothing else and everything will be normal. But you’re right, even if there is something it’s good to know they can see it now and not years later when it’s too advanced. I feel a bit jittery now and shaky knowing my appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully it will all be okay

Oh of course the holter! Forgot that, another great one. You just wear a beeper like thing on your belt which monitors your heart rate nonstop so any odd feelings you have likely get recorded and then the doctor can tell you definitively that "the palp at 8pm was nothing to worry about".

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by panicdad View Post
    Oh of course the holter! Forgot that, another great one. You just wear a beeper like thing on your belt which monitors your heart rate nonstop so any odd feelings you have likely get recorded and then the doctor can tell you definitively that "the palp at 8pm was nothing to worry about".

Good luck!
    I’m very happy to be getting the tests done but deep inside I have such bad anxiety about tomorrow. I’m so nervous. Just trying to remain calm but it’s a bit difficult. I tried to not concentrate on my heart today and it made things so much easier. I didn’t check for my heart beat and if I felt it while laying down I would change positions. This has worked wonders!!

Thank you for your messages!!

When I was in high school I had a sports physical and the doctor noted I had an irregular heartbeat so I also had to do the holster and an ultrasound. It was a bit nerve wracking but overall really easy (though the holster is a bit annoying). For me, it was just that every few beats my heart would just skip. It's 10 years later and no other doctor has mentioned it when I've gone in for physicals, so I really don't know if it's still an issue or not.

Hope all goes well, though I'm sure it will!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    When I was in high school I had a sports physical and the doctor noted I had an irregular heartbeat so I also had to do the holster and an ultrasound. It was a bit nerve wracking but overall really easy (though the holster is a bit annoying). For me, it was just that every few beats my heart would just skip. It's 10 years later and no other doctor has mentioned it when I've gone in for physicals, so I really don't know if it's still an issue or not.

Hope all goes well, though I'm sure it will!
    Thanks for sharing your story Poppy!! Seems like these things are fairly normal and aren’t usually a concern about. Which is so good to know.

My appointment is in an hour. I’m currently trying to eat but it’s difficult. Also getting palpitations and so nervous. I hope they understand that I have anxiety and palps happen to me, makes me worried about what they will see when I get there with my heart beating fast. :(

I just got home from my cardiac tests, I was so anxious. I cried to the technician in the room and she helped calm me down. They did the ultrasound, ECG, and now I am wearing the holster until Friday. I was so anxious and now worried about keeping my anxiety down while wearing it.
    During my ECG I was anxious too. Had palpitations, will they show up on my test? :(

They might, but doctors can usually tell anxiety from an issue. For one thing, your heartbeat overnight will be a good indicator. But try to do some relaxing things over the next few days, both for your test and for your mental health.

When I did my ultrasound I wasn't particularly nervous, but they weren't really looking at how fast my heart was beating but rather the pattern and the structure of the heart itself. So I don't think nerves would effect it too much.

Try to take a breather. If something is wrong they will address it. Heart issues in a 29 year old without previous history are pretty rare. I'm certain they'll give you the all clear.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information