Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going for my first heart tests, what to expect?

Re: Going for my first heart tests, what to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    They might, but doctors can usually tell anxiety from an issue. For one thing, your heartbeat overnight will be a good indicator. But try to do some relaxing things over the next few days, both for your test and for your mental health.

When I did my ultrasound I wasn't particularly nervous, but they weren't really looking at how fast my heart was beating but rather the pattern and the structure of the heart itself. So I don't think nerves would effect it too much.

Try to take a breather. If something is wrong they will address it. Heart issues in a 29 year old without previous history are pretty rare. I'm certain they'll give you the all clear.
    The overnight one is actually so true, they will see my resting heart without the constant anxiety. I feel like today I've gotten palpitations on and off, also that adrenaline in my belly. I'm sure it will show up on the holster. Doing some puzzles to stay calm, they're helping a bit! Ah yes the ultrasound was similar too, looking at the structure as well as the 4 main arteries, she said they look for blockages and stuff. I was surprised at how in depth the ultrasound was, it took 30 mins.

you're so right, need to take a breather and try to relax, I'm sure tonight I'll feel better, just a bit difficult sometimes to shake off anxiety attacks from earlier in the day. Thanks so much Poppy!!

Not even 1 day after completing my heart tests they are calling to book a stress test (running on treadmill one). They don’t even have my results yet, but I want to try and avoid that test. They called me once after my test yesterday and then this morning.

It makes me so anxious when I see that number call, both times it puts me in panic mode and I’m sure it’s being recorded on my Holster that I’m wearing.

It’s finally the last full day of wearing the Holter. I want to rip it off so badly, my anxiety has been bad with it on this morning, I keep getting palpitations and I’m worried they will show up as bad on my test results. :(

I hated wearing the holster - it was so annoying and always in the way.

The doctors that read the results can absolutely tell if there is something serious going on. And as much as you don't want there to be something serious going on (and there likely isn't!), if there were to be an issue you would definitely want it to show up so that it could be dealt with. In reality it will likely just show some spikes due to anxiety which can be discussed at your appointment. Are you going to do the treadmill test? Hopefully the combo of the three could reassure you that everything is fine?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I hated wearing the holster - it was so annoying and always in the way.

The doctors that read the results can absolutely tell if there is something serious going on. And as much as you don't want there to be something serious going on (and there likely isn't!), if there were to be an issue you would definitely want it to show up so that it could be dealt with. In reality it will likely just show some spikes due to anxiety which can be discussed at your appointment. Are you going to do the treadmill test? Hopefully the combo of the three could reassure you that everything is fine?
    I feel so constricted wearing it. It makes me so agitated.

There will definitely be some spikes, I’m currently at the tail end of one. I’m just afraid of the results and it makes my anxiety spike up when I think of it and sometimes causes palpitations. I hate this so much :(.
    I don’t want to do the treadmill test, I never feel palpitations when working out, quite the opposite. Feels better to work out actually.

Ugh, I didn’t get much sleep last night and I’m feeling awful and constricted because of this Holter. I can’t stop crying and sometimes gagging because of my anxiety. :(
    Also lately when I’m anxious I get lots of burps, makes me worried it’s heart related. :(

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_thoughts View Post
    I feel so constricted wearing it. It makes me so agitated.

There will definitely be some spikes, I’m currently at the tail end of one. I’m just afraid of the results and it makes my anxiety spike up when I think of it and sometimes causes palpitations. I hate this so much :(.
    I don’t want to do the treadmill test, I never feel palpitations when working out, quite the opposite. Feels better to work out actually.

Ugh, I didn’t get much sleep last night and I’m feeling awful and constricted because of this Holter. I can’t stop crying and sometimes gagging because of my anxiety. :(
    Also lately when I’m anxious I get lots of burps, makes me worried it’s heart related. :(

Hey - just wanted to chime in again.

1) It's GOOD you're getting palps while wearing it - if you didn't get anything then the test will be useless because they will tell you it's fine and then the next day you'll have a palp and think "oh man that wasn't on the monitor what if THIS is bad". If the palps you're having now represent your general palps then when the DR says they're fine it will be much more useful. The opposite is much worse, wearing a Holter and then having no palps during the time and totally getting nothing out of the whole ordeal

2) Which part of the treadmill test are you worried about? If I remember correctly it's not like the make you run full speed, it's more of a brisk walk for maybe 10 minutes. I took a different test once where the goal is exercise to FAILURE - that was something I wouldn't want to do again so fast - BPM reached just about 200 (the max for my age at the time). The more standard treadmill test is not looking to drain you down - just to monitor you during some exercise. You're already basically doing it by wearing the Holter - as I'm sure you've had a 10 minute walk somewhere in the 3 day span. If you feel it's just a waste of time on the other hand, you can ask them if they think it's necessary but since it seems you initiated the testing then maybe you may as well just do the one more to have as complete reassurance as possible

3) Burping is ridiculously common in anxious people, the breathing gets messed up and you swallow too much air while talking/eating which makes you burp. Nothing to do with the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by panicdad View Post
    Hey - just wanted to chime in again.

1) It's GOOD you're getting palps while wearing it - if you didn't get anything then the test will be useless because they will tell you it's fine and then the next day you'll have a palp and think "oh man that wasn't on the monitor what if THIS is bad". If the palps you're having now represent your general palps then when the DR says they're fine it will be much more useful. The opposite is much worse, wearing a Holter and then having no palps during the time and totally getting nothing out of the whole ordeal

2) Which part of the treadmill test are you worried about? If I remember correctly it's not like the make you run full speed, it's more of a brisk walk for maybe 10 minutes. I took a different test once where the goal is exercise to FAILURE - that was something I wouldn't want to do again so fast - BPM reached just about 200 (the max for my age at the time). The more standard treadmill test is not looking to drain you down - just to monitor you during some exercise. You're already basically doing it by wearing the Holter - as I'm sure you've had a 10 minute walk somewhere in the 3 day span. If you feel it's just a waste of time on the other hand, you can ask them if they think it's necessary but since it seems you initiated the testing then maybe you may as well just do the one more to have as complete reassurance as possible

3) Burping is ridiculously common in anxious people, the breathing gets messed up and you swallow too much air while talking/eating which makes you burp. Nothing to do with the heart.

Hi there, thank you for responding!
    1) yes absolutely you’re right! I ended up taking off the holter on Friday and the palpitations and ectopics totally stopped that day. But on and off over the weekend. It’s been a week since I did my ultrasound and ECG, no calls about it or anything so I’m assuming it’s nothing bad.

2) the stress test is exactly like that one you did where you have to run very fast. I’m totally scared about that, but if my other results are okay I’m going to take it that my heart is healthy and try to move on from it.

3) I just had a burping episode an hour ago which set off my anxiety unfortunately. It also caused 3 ectopics in a row. It almost threw me in a spiral of anxiety, but I really tried to breathe. I’m a bit worried now. But I’ve had the ectopics for years from what I can remember. Not 3 in a row but here and there, it’s not surprising I had many in a row since I was so anxious before and also anticipating it.

So it’s been quite a while and I haven’t gotten a call about my results. I did the ultrasound and ECG last week on Tuesday, so it’s been a week and 2 days now.

My 72 holter I dropped it off last week on Friday so it’s been almost a week for that. Do you think it’s safe to say that my results are probably normal since the doctor isn’t rushing to give me results?

Im trying to remain calm, but It can be difficult sometimes. I personally think if it was something I would know by now. Also, the cardiology office seemed very on top of their stuff, as they called me quickly after I requested tests from my family doctor and gave me an appointment the following day.

The ECG and ultrasound they very likely got the results by now. The holters do take some time process from what I understand, could be more than a week, although I imagine there too if there was anything glaringly obvious they'd probably expedite processing.

Quote Originally Posted by panicdad View Post
    The ECG and ultrasound they very likely got the results by now. The holters do take some time process from what I understand, could be more than a week, although I imagine there too if there was anything glaringly obvious they'd probably expedite processing.
    Yes I'm sure they have the results of the ECG and ultrasound, which I think is a good sign if there's nothing wrong. Especially the ultrasound (boy do they ever check for a long time and very in depth haha). I'm sure by now they have started looking at the Holter, I don't think anything bad will show up because since I've taken it off and my anxiety has been more calm, the ectopics haven't happened!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information