Thread: Stopping Citalopram reduced sex drive?

Stopping Citalopram reduced sex drive?

Hi everyone, I know that SSRI's can stop sex drive but I've never had an issue with this.

I came off Citalopram two months ago and I've noticed since then my sex drive and sexual urge has totally gone. Could this be why? Baring in mind I have been on SSRI's non stop for years, and this is the first time I have ever been off them in over 10 years

Re: Stopping Citalopram reduced sex drive?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Chlobo View Post
    Hi everyone, I know that SSRI's can stop sex drive but I've never had an issue with this.

I came off Citalopram two months ago and I've noticed since then my sex drive and sexual urge has totally gone. Could this be why? Baring in mind I have been on SSRI's non stop for years, and this is the first time I have ever been off them in over 10 years
    This is an unusual outcome, but the only thing predictable about ADs and their impact is their unpredictability. That said, is there anything else going on in your life which may be having an effect. Are you under greater than usual stress at the moment, or having other health issues? It might be a good idea to raise this with your GP to have other potential causes ruled out (not hinting at anything, just suggesting that jumping to the most obvious conclusion is not always the best move).

The good news is that if this is related to stopping citalopram it will almost certainly correct itself, the less good is it may take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    This is an unusual outcome, but the only thing predictable about ADs and their impact is their unpredictability. That said, is there anything else going on in your life which may be having an effect. Are you under greater than usual stress at the moment, or having other health issues? It might be a good idea to raise this with your GP to have other potential causes ruled out (not hinting at anything, just suggesting that jumping to the most obvious conclusion is not always the best move).

The good news is that if this is related to stopping citalopram it will almost certainly correct itself, the less good is it may take a while.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm under a huge amount of stress at the moment, anxiety is horrific plus a lot of stress in general life. I am going to ask the doctor on Friday.
    I am worried though.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm under a huge amount of stress at the moment, anxiety is horrific plus a lot of stress in general life.
    All of which could interfere with the libido. Has this built up since you stopped taking citalopram, or were the stress and anxiety present before?

I am going to ask the doctor on Friday.
    A very good idea, imo.

I am worried though.
    That the sexual dysfunction is permanent, or about the stress/anxiety?

I'm in a different situation to you Chlobo, but after twelve years on Citalopram I have no interest in sex and I have ED.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    All of which could interfere with the libido. Has this built up since you stopped taking citalopram, or were the stress and anxiety present before?

A very good idea, imo.

That the sexual dysfunction is permanent, or about the stress/anxiety?
    More so that there is a Neurological cause for the loss of it.
    And that it could be permanent

I'm amazed you are worried about lack of sex drive - or even think you should have any at all at the moment ! Your anxiety level has been through the roof for the last 6 months, and I would have thought the last thing on your mind would be sex, you are struggling to get through the days with fear dominating all the time and so its absolutely standard that you won't have any energy/interest/ability to engage in sexual activity. Don't start going down the route of 'neurological changes'. Don't make this the new repetitive fear to take over from the other long thread.

More so that there is a Neurological cause for the loss of it.
    And that it could be permanent
    I'm unaware of any evidence that SSRIs can have this effect. Plus, if it were so then the 'damage' would be more likely to be evidence while taking them, not afterwards. Your current state of mind is far, far more likely to be causing it.

Thread Information