After years of flying off the handle at any little twinge, I've had two big successes this week. I'd like to share my thought processes here.

1) Last Friday I had a migraine aura hit whilst shopping with my parents. The visual disturbance almost always triggers a panic attack so violent I generally vomit. I was with my folks, though, and had to hold it together. I took a breath, let them know what was going on and then tried to identify a possible trigger. Definitely not caffeine as I'd been avoiding it. However, I'd skipped lunch (vanishingly rate for me) and I'd read before that missed meals were a common trigger. Made sense, so I waited it out and it went away as usual.

2) I've spent huge amounts of time on buses this week, and on another 90-minute journey home today, I started to feel a slightly crampy twinge in my right calf. Later on in the supermarket, it got worse and it felt like my leg was filling up with liquid. Obviously, I thought DVT.

I didn't freak out, I didn't tell my husband, and rather than worrying I just made a mental note to take a look at my leg once I got home and to go to A&E if there were any concrete signs. When I got home, my calf wasn't swollen, hot or red, so I realized no further action was necessary. At no point did I feel uneasy, just mindful.

I'm sure I'll slip up at some point, but if I can do it so can anyone.