So, I'm currently awaiting a sigmoidoscopy for some bleeding, which is booked in for next Friday.

I've gone through BUPA and still had to wait a long time for the appointment (so it's not just the NHS with waiting lists) but I wanted to see what others thought.

Years ago I had a flexible sig and it lierally was over and done with in about 10 minutes. I had an enema sent in the post a couple of weeks before so I could make sure the lower part of my bowel was clear beforehand and then I went in had it done and came home after.

So this week I get a pile of paperwork form BUPA, stating I can eat after midnight the day before. I'm to arrive at 12.30pm but no appointment time, etc etc. Oh and a form to fill in with dietary choices!

Yesterday I had my pre-op assessment over the phone and they confirmed it was a sigmoidoscopy and started talking about how I was getting there and getting home, to which I said I'd be driving myself and she said "oh no you can't do that as you'll need to be driven to and from the appointment and have someone with you for 24 hours after surgery".

I queried this and said I'm not having surgery it's a procedure and she said yes but you will be under sedation and need to wait for the affects of the anesthetic to wear off before you can leave. She then asked if I'd ever been under anasethetic before to which I replied not since a child when I had teeth removed.

I asked why this was necessary and said last time I didn't have any sedation etc and it was fine and I'd like to do this again, to which she replied "oh that should be ok and if that's the case you can drive". She said they'd send a prep kit in the post.

I have heard of people having sedation if they prefer and are extremely anxious but I didn't think it was a given without discussion.

I'm not sure if it's because it's private and they are trying to make as much money as posssible but it actually sounded like I was going to be knocked out for what it says on their site is a 15 minute procedure.

I actually feel quite angry as they have basically said I will be there pretty much all afternoon and to bring slippers and a book! I just think, no wonder waiting lists are so long if it takes this amount of time for one procedure which years ago, they gave you a slot and you were in and out in less than half an hour.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or know if this is ususal for this procedure?

thanks