Thread: Just wanted others thoughts on this!

Just wanted others thoughts on this!

So, I'm currently awaiting a sigmoidoscopy for some bleeding, which is booked in for next Friday.

I've gone through BUPA and still had to wait a long time for the appointment (so it's not just the NHS with waiting lists) but I wanted to see what others thought.

Years ago I had a flexible sig and it lierally was over and done with in about 10 minutes. I had an enema sent in the post a couple of weeks before so I could make sure the lower part of my bowel was clear beforehand and then I went in had it done and came home after.

So this week I get a pile of paperwork form BUPA, stating I can eat after midnight the day before. I'm to arrive at 12.30pm but no appointment time, etc etc. Oh and a form to fill in with dietary choices!

Yesterday I had my pre-op assessment over the phone and they confirmed it was a sigmoidoscopy and started talking about how I was getting there and getting home, to which I said I'd be driving myself and she said "oh no you can't do that as you'll need to be driven to and from the appointment and have someone with you for 24 hours after surgery".

I queried this and said I'm not having surgery it's a procedure and she said yes but you will be under sedation and need to wait for the affects of the anesthetic to wear off before you can leave. She then asked if I'd ever been under anasethetic before to which I replied not since a child when I had teeth removed.

I asked why this was necessary and said last time I didn't have any sedation etc and it was fine and I'd like to do this again, to which she replied "oh that should be ok and if that's the case you can drive". She said they'd send a prep kit in the post.

I have heard of people having sedation if they prefer and are extremely anxious but I didn't think it was a given without discussion.

I'm not sure if it's because it's private and they are trying to make as much money as posssible but it actually sounded like I was going to be knocked out for what it says on their site is a 15 minute procedure.

I actually feel quite angry as they have basically said I will be there pretty much all afternoon and to bring slippers and a book! I just think, no wonder waiting lists are so long if it takes this amount of time for one procedure which years ago, they gave you a slot and you were in and out in less than half an hour.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or know if this is ususal for this procedure?

thanks

Re: Just wanted others thoughts on this!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It is normal for them to assume you are having sedation and nothing suspicious or dodgy about it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I haven't had this myself, but know some people who have (NHS). I've also heard its normal to assume people will make that choice to have sedation - I think the majority do (although I have heard that the medics prefer it, as they can be absolutely certain that nobody will move when they don't want them to)- but I know a few people who, like you, have had no sedation. Its your choice entirely, and I'm sure that you have made it clear thats the way you prefer it, and you can do on the day. It sounds like they just have an admin person on the phone who gives a standard set of information.

As for going in and waiting your turn, the last person I know on the NHS had the same thing, they had to go and wait and it could have been any time during the am/pm. I suspect since the last time you had this done there have been procedural changes - and I doubt very much that they make waits long, infact logically it would be much easier for the team to have everyone in at one time. It would certainly sort out people being late, or early, delaying things or messing up the system for the session. They can then make up time easily if some people's procedures are shorter than expected, or have people ready waiting for if a procedure for another takes a bit longer than expected. The same applies to day surgery at our local hospital, you don't get an appointment you go and wait as part of a cohort and they can then build a timetable with the right 'running slots' for people and move the team more swiftly on from one person to the next, as they are there waiting. Its would be absolute chaos if specific times were given and someone didn't turn up - do they wait ? Do they presume that person isn't coming ? Do they try and fit them in when they do turn up ? Do they end up finishing late ?
    Last edited by Carys; 22-04-22 at 18:09.

Yes I've had this with what they call "twilight sedation" which isn't a general anaesthetic but just relaxes you and makes it easier to do the procedure if you are anxious. I'm sure there would be no problem if you didn't want sedation because it's not a particularly horrible test as you know. I'm sure they could let you know on the day what number you were on the theatre list. If you opted for sedation they have to set up the cannula beforehand and go through a whole load of questions so it's more time consuming.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Carys, I hadn't thought about it like that. I was thinking they were just having one person in that afternoon i.e, me and thought what an absolute waste of time. It would make perfect sense to have several people in at the same time and work through the list.

Ah, ok that makes sense Pulisa about the cannula. It's just the way she was talking it sounded like I was going to be knocked out which I thought was a bit excessivel. Yes I was ok last time without sedation, so hopefully will this time to.

I will update once I've been.

Thank you

Thread Information