Thread: Horrible health anxiety and heart palpitations

Horrible health anxiety and heart palpitations

I have suffered from heart palpitations, health anxiety and general anxiety for about 27 years. Add to that an absolute fear of doctors. My palpitations can occur for long periods, seem to be elevated by eating certain foods, like salty crisps. I recently had to rush to the emergency ward of the hospital because I had been getting zigzag lines in my vision. They took my blood pressure and heart rate and the first thing the doctor asked was do I suffer from anxiety. After four hours of a team of doctors studying my eyes I was released with the diagnosis of ocular migraines. So now I have this horrid eye thing and my palpitations have returned. The health anxiety is going through the roof now. My question is if doctors examined me and they took my heart rate and blood pressure would they have kept me in if I had a heart issue? I was released without anything except my blood pressure was a bit high but they suggested it was because I was so stressed. Never really gone to a doctor about it as I have such a fear of them. Only went to hospital this week because I thought I had a retinal tear and didn’t want to go blind.

Re: Horrible health anxiety and heart palpitations

Quote Originally Posted by nickpage99 View Post
    My question is if doctors examined me and they took my heart rate and blood pressure would they have kept me in if I had a heart issue?
    Absolutely!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Horrible health anxiety and heart palpitations

Quote Originally Posted by nickpage99 View Post
    I have suffered from heart palpitations, health anxiety and general anxiety for about 27 years. Add to that an absolute fear of doctors. My palpitations can occur for long periods, seem to be elevated by eating certain foods, like salty crisps.
    It's basically any stimulant with me.

You've made the connection so you know what to do, which is to avoid the food that triggers the symptom.
    I recently had to rush to the emergency ward of the hospital because I had been getting zigzag lines in my vision.
    My first migraine was diagnosed in A & E 31 years ago. I suddenly felt unwell. was sick, and my vision went zig-zaggy. My idiot GP wouldn't see me & told my husband to take me to A & E.

My question is if doctors examined me and they took my heart rate and blood pressure would they have kept me in if I had a heart issue? I was released without anything except my blood pressure was a bit high but they suggested it was because I was so stressed. Never really gone to a doctor about it as I have such a fear of them. Only went to hospital this week because I thought I had a retinal tear and didn’t want to go blind.
    Your blood pressure will naturally increase with a migraine, especially if there is pain (like I get with most of mine) but, given how anxious you are, it stands to reason that your BP/heart rate is up..

Yes, they'd have kept you in if there was an issue with your heart and there clearly isn't so try and accept this truth as opposed to listening to those lies your mind is telling you..

Thread Information