Thread: upping dose

upping dose

i have been on prozac 20mg for 25 yrs at the momment i don,t seem to be getting any relief from them my doctor has told me to start taking 40mg has anyone else done this

Re: upping dose

Quote Originally Posted by deloras View Post
    i have been on prozac 20mg for 25 yrs at the momment i don,t seem to be getting any relief from them my doctor has told me to start taking 40mg has anyone else done this
    Have you been under greater than usual stress lately, or has the med just gradually faded in effectiveness over time? Higher stress levels can require a dose increase to restore the balance between the corrosive effects of stress hormones on the brain and the countering med response. 25 years at what is the minimum effective dose for most is a pretty good run.

Fluoxetine has a very long half-life which means dose changes can take a while to kick-in. It may take a couple of months to get the maximum benefit from the increase. I suggest you also ask your doctor is you can only increase to 30mg for 2-3 weeks to lessen any potential side-effects.

how do you take 30mg when they only come in 20mg tablets take another one every other day

Quote Originally Posted by deloras View Post
    how do you take 30mg when they only come in 20mg tablets take another one every other day
    Because of its long half-life fluoxetine is probably the only AD where increasing (or decreasing) the dose that way may not cause issues. However, I think either getting a prescription for 10mg tablets, if available, or cutting the 20mg tablets are the better option. Most chemists sell pill cutters which make cutting tablets easier, more accurate and less bloody than using a knife.

Thread Information