Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety flare up from war events

Anxiety flare up from war events

I'm a pretty busy person, I work a lot and don't view the news much and not had much in the way of anxiey for a long time.

Tonight on the bus a woman was reading an article from Sky news to her friend about recent threats Putin has been making towards the UK and west. My anxiety suddenly came back with sweats, flushed face, really strong thudding palpitations and chest tightness. I ended up getting home, changing and going for a long run then on the run I had a weird deja vu type feeling as if I'd ran the same route but was stuck in a time loop... Of course I wasn't! Stopped in Tesco Express for a drink and someone else was talking about it!

I've not even attempted to look up the news myself so thought it maybe better to ask a question here as I don't really understand it seeing as I've not followed the situation.

In regards to countries supplying Ukraine with arms, it would appear Russia are being quite suppressed and it's causing a hissy fit in Russia and they have essentially said they'd be ready to strike supplying countries quickly if they don't stop. I don't know if this is as it stands or if it's with heavy weapons such as planes and tanks.

Something else I don't really understand. If a leader of a country thought his country was at risk of war, would he not apply the brakes a little as to not tempt things further? I'm unsure of how Government is going to play this in the days and weeks ahead.

I was never around during the Cold War so I'm not sure how similar it is to today.

Re: Anxiety flare up from war events

I have read the BBC site this evening but there's been no mention of the UK being under any specific threat of target so far.

As far as I am aware, Putin's 'threats' seem to be very vague so far as he hasn't as yet named any names as far as specific countries are concerned, and he's probably just bluffing and willy-waving once again.

I could be totally wrong though.

Nevertheless, I for one shall be avoiding the newspaper stands like the plague in the train stations tomorrow, as it's pretty much inevitable that the Daily Mail, Express, etc will be spewing out their typical 'Armageddon' drama headlines once again, despite seemingly having toned down all things Ukraine/Russia over more recent weeks. Not just because of anxiety over the subject in question, but the fact that their tendency to over-dramatise things period really does my nut in big time.

Of course, they always love all the dosh they make from such morbid headlines!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    As far as I am aware, Putin's 'threats' seem to be very vague so far as he hasn't as yet named any names as far as specific countries are concerned, and he's probably just bluffing and willy-waving once again.
    Made me laugh this..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Made me laugh this..
    LOL!

At least most news outlets now appear to have moved on from Covid, apart from the pointless lockdowns in China ATM.

It must also be a slow news period on the domestic headlines front right now.

Just imagine if the BBC site had the live wall-to-wall rolling articles back in 2003 like it does now, there would have been one about the Iraq war and some 5-6 years later ones about the Global Financial Crisis, the Swine Flu pandemic, etc.

I bet this time next year there will no doubt be another big panic about something else in the news.

Ditto in 2024, 2025, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

It must also be a slow news period on the domestic headlines front right now.
    You mean, you haven't been following the Johnny Depp V Amber Heard lawsuit?

Or the Katie Price will she or won't she get sent to prison saga?

Never mind the willy waiving, Liz Truss's speech yesterday was the most shocking/interesting geopolitical thing I've heard recently:

The world order created after the Second World War and the Cold War isn’t working anymore, so the West needs “a global NATO” to pursue geopolitics anew, UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss argued, in a major foreign policy speech on Wednesday. Truss also urged the US-led bloc to send more “heavy weapons, tanks” and airplanes to Ukraine, and said China would face the same treatment as Russia if it doesn’t “play by the rules.”

“My vision is a world where free nations are assertive and in the ascendant. Where freedom and democracy are strengthened through a network of economic and security partnerships,” Truss said in a speech at a Mansion House banquet in London.

Dubbing this arrangement “the Network of Liberty,” Truss argued it was necessary because the economic and security structures developed after 1945 – such as the UN Security Council – “have been bent out of shape so far, they have enabled rather than contained aggression.”
    “Geopolitics is back,” she announced.

The collective West and its allies need to supply Kiev with “heavy weapons, tanks, aeroplanes – digging deep into our inventories, ramping up production,” Truss said, because the objective is to “push Russia out of the whole of Ukraine” and rebuild the country along the lines of a new Marshall Plan.

“The war in Ukraine is our war – it is everyone’s war because Ukraine’s victory is a strategic imperative for all of us. Beyond that, NATO must ensure that “the Western Balkans and countries like Moldova and Georgia have the resilience and the capabilities to maintain their sovereignty and freedom,” and uphold the “sacrosanct” open-door policy, Truss said.

Her ambitions went beyond Europe, though, as Truss denounced the “false choice between Euro-Atlantic security and Indo-Pacific security. In the modern world we need both. We need a global NATO,” she said. “And we must ensure that democracies like Taiwan are able to defend themselves.” Pointing to London’s unprecedented effort to embargo Russia, Truss insisted that “economic access is no longer a given. It has to be earned,” and that countries who wish to earn it “must play by the rules. And that includes China.”

In other words, the New World Order aka the 'neo-liberal rules-based world' order has failed, so naturally what is needed is more of that which has failed.

This response isn’t even remotely surprising in the abstract, as doubling down is what stubborn idiots always do instead of examining the reasons for their failure and rethinking both their assumptions and their approaches. But it is surprising in the particular, as Russia, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina, and the Philippines have made it clear that they will not submit to the West’s demands that they deliver their natural resources to their Western customers on demand, while simultaneously being subject to having their economic access to those same customers controlled by globalist corporations, alphabet soup agencies, NGOs, and powerful Western billionaires who want to interfere in their domestic politics and tell them how to live - or else.

This tends to strongly support something I have recently been pondering a lot about, that the Russian 'Special Military Operation' has very little to do with Ukraine per se; it is merely the opening battle in the Non-West’s war with the powers who rule over the West. This will be confirmed if/when a second theatre of conflict opens, though whether that will be in Taiwan, Western Europe, Russia, or somewhere in the Middle East is yet to be seen.
    Last edited by Panicattacka; 28-04-22 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    Never mind the willy waiving, Liz Truss's speech yesterday was the most shocking/interesting geopolitical thing I've heard recently:

The world order created after the Second World War and the Cold War isn’t working anymore, so the West needs “a global NATO” to pursue geopolitics anew, UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss argued, in a major foreign policy speech on Wednesday. Truss also urged the US-led bloc to send more “heavy weapons, tanks” and airplanes to Ukraine, and said China would face the same treatment as Russia if it doesn’t “play by the rules.”

“My vision is a world where free nations are assertive and in the ascendant. Where freedom and democracy are strengthened through a network of economic and security partnerships,” Truss said in a speech at a Mansion House banquet in London.

Dubbing this arrangement “the Network of Liberty,” Truss argued it was necessary because the economic and security structures developed after 1945 – such as the UN Security Council – “have been bent out of shape so far, they have enabled rather than contained aggression.”

The collective West and its allies need to supply Kiev with “heavy weapons, tanks, aeroplanes – digging deep into our inventories, ramping up production,” Truss said, because the objective is to “push Russia out of the whole of Ukraine” and rebuild the country along the lines of a new Marshall Plan.

“The war in Ukraine is our war – it is everyone’s war because Ukraine’s victory is a strategic imperative for all of us. Beyond that, NATO must ensure that “the Western Balkans and countries like Moldova and Georgia have the resilience and the capabilities to maintain their sovereignty and freedom,” and uphold the “sacrosanct” open-door policy, Truss said.

Her ambitions went beyond Europe, though, as Truss denounced the “false choice between Euro-Atlantic security and Indo-Pacific security. In the modern world we need both. We need a global NATO,” she said. “And we must ensure that democracies like Taiwan are able to defend themselves.” Pointing to London’s unprecedented effort to embargo Russia, Truss insisted that “economic access is no longer a given. It has to be earned,” and that countries who wish to earn it “must play by the rules. And that includes China.”

In other words, the New World Order aka the 'neo-liberal rules-based world' order has failed, so naturally what is needed is more of that which has failed.

This response isn’t even remotely surprising in the abstract, as doubling down is what stubborn idiots always do instead of examining the reasons for their failure and rethinking both their assumptions and their approaches. But it is surprising in the particular, as Russia, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina, and the Philippines have made it clear that they will not submit to the West’s demands that they deliver their natural resources to their Western customers on demand, while simultaneously being subject to having their economic access to those same customers controlled by globalist corporations, alphabet soup agencies, NGOs, and powerful Western billionaires who want to interfere in their domestic politics and tell them how to live - or else.

This tends to strongly support something I have recently been pondering a lot about, that the Russian 'Special Military Operation' has very little to do with Ukraine per se; it is merely the opening battle in the Non-West’s war with the powers who rule over the West. This will be confirmed if/when a second theatre of conflict opens, though whether that will be in Taiwan, Western Europe, Russia, or somewhere in the Middle East is yet to be seen.
    'War on Terror'-Part Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post

China delivering natural resources to the west?? Are you aware of what they are doing in Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    China delivering natural resources to the west??
    Yes. According to China's General Administration of Customs, China exported 45,552 metric tons of rare earths worth $398.8 million in 2019. The vast majority of these exports went to the world's major economic and technological powerhouses. Clear enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    Are you aware of what they are doing in Africa?
    Yes. Are you aware of what the West has done for centuries in Africa, and is still doing today? Wanna go there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information