Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Living

Re: Cost of Living

I’ve started dying my own hair. At the hairdresser it used to cost £70 but now I can get two boxes for a tenner of actually a nicer colour and I’ve trained Mr.D to do it.
    Im also in the process of retraining my eldest son who has arrived back home. He is one of those that wears a pair of jeans once and then bungs them in the wash basket. After finding them, unwashed and folded back in his wardrobe he’s getting the message… working in an office all day does not get your jeans dirty.
    My favourite thing is my ceiling clothes horse. I don’t know what they’re called but old houses used to have them. A pulley thing with slats.
    when we moved here, there was one in the back. I loved it because it reminded me when we had one when I was little….but I never used it. Now I’m on a cost cutting drive there’s always clothes on it.
    Things get turned off at the wall, not left on standby…apparently that eats up electricity.
    Definately don’t eat out, although I did read it cost £4 to cook a Sunday lunch.

I think we will not be too bad now the summer is here but I think come winter, that’s when we will feel it. Particularly my mother who is permanently cold anyway. But she spends very little anyway, so I think spending cash on keeping warm is the right thing to do. I watched that interview with Susannah Reid and Boris. She looked fuming when she was telling him about that oap who had one meal per day and spent her time riding buses all day to keep warm. And all he took from it was that he was the one who had introduced the all day free rides.

But you’re right Lenco, it’s not just us in this mess.

Ghost…Spillways

I thought Susanna Reid did a great job demolishing Boris Johnson's bravado. He just couldn't resist trying to big himself up at the expense of a poverty stricken pensioner who knows more about the true cost of living than he ever will. To be honest I think it is the pensioners who have very little income who will really suffer from this crisis. Too proud to ask for help and stoic to the last..They are the true victims.

I've actually got my dad's old ewbank, Carnation...Thanks for the suggestion. Why didn't I think of that?!

I’ve had a look and they sell new carpet sweepers on ebay. My mother kept a house full of carpets clean with one and not an iota of leccy used.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    But you’re right Lenco, it’s not just us in this mess.
    That's the crux of it.

What I have always found jarring is there's many who seem to believe that recessions/economic crises and poor quality of life experiences in general only ever happen in the UK and look to other countries (e.g, Spain) with rose-tinted specs.

Whilst on the subject of Spain I saw a post on another forum from a person bemoaning the fact that they can't afford to go on holiday to Benidorm like they used to multiple times per year pre-pandemic.

As far as I'm concerned, being unable to afford ritual holidays abroad every year is a walk in the park compared to being unable to afford to feed oneself and/or keep oneself warm!

Even well into the 80s holidays abroad were still an expensive luxury for the vast majority of us, and only happened once every few years, never mind multiple times a year which seemed to had become the norm for many from the 90s right up until the onset of the pandemic!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I thought Susanna Reid did a great job demolishing Boris Johnson's bravado. He just couldn't resist trying to big himself up at the expense of a poverty stricken pensioner who knows more about the true cost of living than he ever will. To be honest I think it is the pensioners who have very little income who will really suffer from this crisis. Too proud to ask for help and stoic to the last..They are the true victims.

I've actually got my dad's old ewbank, Carnation...Thanks for the suggestion. Why didn't I think of that?!
    Dare I say it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of those pensioners actually voted for Boris and Co back in 2019, hoping he would return us to the 'good ol' days' that both never were and certainly haven't materialised (for obvious reasons), but have since instead been in for some nasty shocks!

But surely, no matter who was in power right now, they would be getting it in the neck over this COL crisis, regardless of party or PM, as it happened just the same with Gordon Brown and New Labour at the end of the 2000s with the GF crisis, which in turn, they were basically powerless to prevent, despite their best efforts at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Dare I say it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of those pensioners actually voted for Boris and Co back in 2019, hoping he would return us to the 'good ol' days' that both never were and certainly haven't materialised (for obvious reasons), but have since instead been in for some nasty shocks!

But surely, no matter who was in power right now, they would be getting it in the neck over this COL crisis, regardless of party or PM, as it happened just the same with Gordon Brown and New Labour at the end of the 2000s with the GF crisis, which in turn, they were basically powerless to prevent, despite their best efforts at the time.
    True, true.
    It doesn’t matter who is in power. This thing is global and no matter what government was in charge they would be floundering now. Politicians of any party do not live the lives of the voters…the real strugglers.

Ghost…Spillways

I’ve had a look and they sell new carpet sweepers on ebay. My mother kept a house full of carpets clean with one and not an iota of leccy used.
    Personally, I'm delighted to see that those mainstays for decades in this market - Ewbank and Bissell - are still in business!

https://www.ewbank.co.uk/product-category/sweepers/
    https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/sweepers

I still have our Leifheit "Rotaro"

I wish I'd kept my mum's ewbank sweeper, but good to hear they are still going. Going to try and hunt one down.
    My dad had an old fashioned mower as well which did just as well if not better than an electric mower. I'll put that on my list together with a portable barbecue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Personally, I'm delighted to see that those mainstays for decades in this market - Ewbank and Bissell - are still in business!

https://www.ewbank.co.uk/product-category/sweepers/
    https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/sweepers

I still have our Leifheit "Rotaro"
    Sorry to be negative, but I bet you a tenner that those sweepers are no longer manufactured in the UK.

Nevertheless, definitely good in the long run for both the planet and saving money on leccy bills.

I find the name Ewbank really amusing, especially as it became a 'brandnomer' at one time (similar to Hoover)!

True, true.
    It doesn’t matter who is in power. This thing is global and no matter what government was in charge they would be floundering now. Politicians of any party do not live the lives of the voters…the real strugglers.
    Absolutely Darksky.

I think, as per usual, the media are revelling in this COL crisis as it's the latest in a long line of things to put the fear of God into us over, especially as Covid is now far less newsworthy plus not as much on the Ukraine conflict ATM to make a song and dance over.

But at least recessions/economic crises, while still dead horrible for many, are IMO the least evil compared to, say, full-on world wars or pandemics.

Plus of course they don't warrant lockdowns!

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information