Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Living

Re: Cost of Living

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I wish I'd kept my mum's ewbank sweeper, but good to hear they are still going. Going to try and hunt one down.
    My dad had an old fashioned mower as well which did just as well if not better than an electric mower. I'll put that on my list together with a portable barbecue.
    You can get them (ewbanks) on the Robert Dyas website, Carnation..

Maybe I should look into washing mangles and go back to washing clothes in the bath....Last resort, I think. My poor mum was a slave to that wretched mangle..We are so lucky to have labour saving devices today. It's so easy to press a few buttons and the hard work is done for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

Maybe I should look into washing mangles and go back to washing clothes in the bath....Last resort, I think. My poor mum was a slave to that wretched mangle..We are so lucky to have labour saving devices today. It's so easy to press a few buttons and the hard work is done for you.
    We only tend to put the washing machine on once a week anyway, plus I tend to wear the same pair of trousers/jeans/joggers and jumpers/ cardies for about 3-4 days.

Ditto for showering, although I do still wash my face, etc and brush my teeth on a daily basis.

I've heard/read that even as late as the 70s many people would only bathe once a week, usually on Sundays, and hardly anyone gave it as much as a second thought.

Thanks Pulisa, I’ll have a look.

Darksky, you can tell your son it’s not good for the jeans to be washed too often. I think it was Levi’s who stated this.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

I had occasion to work in Athens a couple of decades ago. I couldn't find a laundrette anywhere, so I used to wash my clothes in the bath and hang them on the balcony to dry. As for mangles, my great-aunt had a Servis washing machine that had a wringer you plugged into the top, and then she transferred the washing to a separate little spin dryer. By the time it'd been through all that, they were practically dry anyway - so no problem in the winter when they would be put on a wooden clothes-horse in front of the fire.

Hers was a more modern version of this:

Invest in electric propulsion and put the savings into your home power bill. Electric bike or scooter being an option for quick runs that don't involve hording lots of stuff you can't afford. I now use a pushbike with my own power and thus far has saved hundreds if not thousands. Prioritize your power use, but yes - inequality is further becoming more evident among those who love to quote and vote. Is only set to get worse in those communities. If things continue as is, we will soon have American tent cites. Rents have skyrockets here with many more homeless through not fault of their own.

Things like bellow can help for those of use privileged with lots of spare time:

Last edited by Ponder; 08-05-22 at 00:21.

I am seriously going to look into getting one of those carpet sweepers now. I've often thought how handy it would be.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who suffers from the cold. Merino thermal underwear is an absolute godsend. It's absolutely ridiculously expensive new but it does come up on Ebay second hand (I get most of my clothes/shoes second hand on ebay - except underwear). It's warm and if you get 100% wool it's antimicrobial so it doesn't smell so you can wear it a few days. I have two long sleeved vests and honestly they are brilliant.

With regards to ebay my most successful purchase recently was some Sketchers trainers for £2.77 + postage. Only worn a few times, clean and the only sign of wear was the underside of the sole was very slightly discoloured.

Thanks for these tips, Catkins..I'm always cold and have Raynauds so rely on thermal anything to help. I think ebay has a lot of gems if you look carefully. Ditto charity shops. I've recently picked up a couple of barely worn tops for £1 each.

The Skechers sound a real bargain! I recently bought some at half price (I have big feet!) but well done you for spotting that giveaway!

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I am seriously going to look into getting one of those carpet sweepers now. I've often thought how handy it would be.
    My mum had a Ewbank for decades (same one). I used to use it as a mike & stand when I was pretending to be Kate Bush.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who suffers from the cold. Merino thermal underwear is an absolute godsend. It's absolutely ridiculously expensive new but it does come up on Ebay second hand (I get most of my clothes/shoes second hand on ebay - except underwear). It's warm and if you get 100% wool it's antimicrobial so it doesn't smell so you can wear it a few days. I have two long sleeved vests and honestly they are brilliant.
    I always wear my vest. Even under short sleeved shirts ha. I look a div but I'm past caring..

With regards to ebay my most successful purchase recently was some Sketchers trainers for £2.77 + postage. Only worn a few times, clean and the only sign of wear was the underside of the sole was very slightly discoloured.
    I had a nice pair of summer shoes on EBAY once. I got those an a very stubborn toe fungus for a fiver. Bargain!

Only shoes which are worn with socks for me now..

Eubank sweeper ordered. I'm quite looking forward to it coming. Love the sound it makes. Reminds me of home.

Nora, I'm wary of second hand shoes too. As I have problematic feet, I too would wear a covering.
    If you can pick up a sheepskin coat it would also act as a blanket covering. My parents also used sleeping bags on the bed in the winter as they had no heating. I would always wear bed socks and a hot water bottle. Still do now. Heat escapes from the body through your head and feet so wear a beanie hat too.
    My parents would shut off one of the downstairs rooms and it's heating. The heavy lined curtains would also go up in the winter. And a stew or soup on the go would be the only heating in the kitchen.
    Towelling bathrobes another handy item.
    I'm in the vest club too. It will only come off if over 24c.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information