Thread: Prozac and Metoprolol (CYP2D6)

Prozac and Metoprolol (CYP2D6)

My doctor wanted me try prozac again, now the 3rd time, and had no success with it helping any with my anxiety. The difference this time is I am on metoprolol and I noticed a good amount of lowering of my resting heart rate and blood pressure. I know prozac is a strong inhibitor of the allele that metabolizes the metoprolol. I have been off the prozac now for 27 days and my resting HR and BP have not returned to my normal levels. Has anyone had this combo of meds and when did you see your rates go back to what they were before the prozac?
    Last edited by Jakemje; 06-05-22 at 01:20.

20+ year suffer of GAD/Panic Disorder

If they offer it, I have tried it

Re: Prozac and Metoprolol (CYP2D6)

It may take a little longer. The problem is fluoxetine has a very long half-life, around 6 days so can take 30 days to fully clear. Its active metabolite takes even longer as it has a half-life of up to 16 days.

What is your resting heart rate? These days 50-75 bpm is considered ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    What is your resting heart rate? These days 50-75 bpm is considered ideal.
    My normal resting, almost like a metronome, has always been 65bpm. It has been 51-55bpm for the last few weeks. My blood pressure has ranged from 124/80-130/85 (alittle high) but has gone down to 106/60 and averaged 117/70. It's like I've become extremely healthy over night which I know isn't normal. I've been on metoprolol for 5 years now. The scare of it is I have dizziness from anxiety alot already, so looking out for dizziness due to low blood pressure is useless right now.

Those numbers look okay. I'm on BP meds to keep mine low to compensate for reduced lung volume after a lobectomy 16 years ago and are about the same as yours at the moment with a resting heart rate of 47-50 when I'm sleeping, up to 55 when awake.

You shouldn't be experiencing dizziness at BP rates of 117/70. My advice is to stop measuring it and your HR. I won't solve anything, just make you stressed for little if any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    My advice is to stop measuring it and your HR. I won't solve anything, just make you stressed for little if any reason.
    That's what I'm going to have to do. It's driving me crazy. The cardiologist ordered a stress test. echocardiogram, and calcium scan for the 15th and I will just have to wait for answers then. I just pray it is the prozac still in my system causing it and not something else.
    Last edited by Jakemje; 07-05-22 at 20:51.

Thread Information