Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hysteroscopy or not ?

Hysteroscopy or not ? Booked in for one so scared !!

Hi all to cut a long story short I had some mid cycle spotting end of December which then carried on in jan feb and March with it my periods were irregular and 2 were very light, the bleeding all ways took place second half of cycle

My gp thought it was hormones but because I was worrying about it so much she arranged an ultrasound and also referred me to gynaecology she said she’s referring me not because she thinks theres something wrong but for my assurance as I had a bleed after sex and it really scared me the reality of it was I came on 2 days after so that’s what probs triggered the bleed.

Fast forward had my ultrasound on Sunday, she said structurally everything looked good she couldn’t see my right ovary as my bowel kept hiding it but told me this is normal and my gp said my lining was 10.4mm she asked me the last day of my
    Last period so she said the thickness is correct for someone that far long in their cycle as I was on day 23.

Now my appointment with the gynaecology has finally come through end of June a week before I go on holiday and I am really scared what they’ll say I managed to speak to the consultants secretary who said don’t worry he won’t carry out any proceedure and he will probably pull out my ultrasound results. However I am really worried that he will rescan and find something etc the usual HA thoughts and I think I won’t be able to enjoy holiday.

The spotting has worn off for now and I’m not having any heavey periods etc just wanted to ask you guys if with a normal ultrasound would they still do a hysterscopy or not ? I’m just a nervous wreck at the moment not knowing what to expect even though my gp said my ultrasound was normal and I just don’t want it lingering over my head on holiday tbh as I will keep worrying which will then spoil others holiday as well
    Last edited by Sunshinegirl82; 19-12-22 at 19:46.

Re: Hysteroscopy or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl82 View Post

The spotting has worn off for now and I’m not having any heavey periods etc just wanted to ask you guys if with a normal ultrasound would they still do a hysterscopy or not ? I’m just a nervous wreck at the moment not knowing what to expect even though my gp said my ultrasound was normal and I just don’t want it lingering over my head on holiday tbh as I will keep worrying which will then spoil others holiday as well
    In my experience, no. I had a hysteroscopy because my womb lining was thicker than it should be (post-menopause) and the symptom I was scanned for was a post-meno bleed. (and this turned out to be a one off)

I think this really depends on the gynaecologist, and not necessarily on the results of your ultrasound scan!
    When I was referred to gynae, I was lucky that it was a bit of a one stop shop.
    I had an abdominal ultrasound followed by a transvaginal ultrasound. Then 20 mins later I was called in to see the gynaecologist who did a colposcopy and hysteroscopy despite finding nothing concerning on the ultrasounds.
    Not gonna lie, at the time I was hoping they wouldn’t do all those tests, but in hindsight I’m glad they did, because it gives a much higher reassurance afterwards!

I guess it’s unlikely they’d find anything significant if you USS was clear anyway! So I’m sure you have every reason to relax and look forward to your holiday regardless of if they do a hysteroscopy or not.
    I’m kinda in the same boat as you with that one though…I have a holiday in two weeks and have a huge health concern that I doubt I’ll even get seen before my holiday. I think going on holiday with the fear will be so much worse! I’m sure you’ll be reassured and have a lovely holiday!

Thank you guys ! Well I had a bit of spotting yesterday again only once so not sure if I wipped to hard it really fresh and just a few dots.
    The only thing keeping me sane at the moment is the ultrasound was normal but it’s always the what ifs that bug me.

My gp refffered me to the gynae even before I had my ultrasound because I was so worried so now I’m thinking in the normal circumstances in situations like this what would they do if the scan was normal but spotting was still occurring would I have just been offered hormonal tablets
    In all honesty I don’t want to go through any extra invasive tests if there is no need for it and they only doing it for my assurance.

@limeslime mines defo not a one stop clinic I was referred on a routine basis and the clinic I’m attending is only held once a month in a community hospital in the town next to me I did ask if If there was any slots available at the main women & new born centre in the main hospital but she’s said it’s different clinics there so I just have to wait for this one so no idea what going to occur it’s the not knowing that gets me and then having to go with what ever they said on holiday I will feel like a ticking time bomb all the time when I’m there hate that feeling. And I also don’t like when they give me the choices for investigations this is because as a person who deals with HA you want every type of test going because of the just incase situation and if I didn’t take it on if they give me a choice I’d still think what if can’t win ! I just keep thinking that although in the scan it was normal what if he does another one and he finds something etc I just wish all these symptoms would go away ! And let me live in peace just for a while but no there is always something going on ! Luckily some of my CBT techniques do help which keeps me sane

They’ll probably offer you a coil to stop the bleeding if they think it’s hormonal.
    Your scan was clear, they’re not gonna find anything nasty now! They’ll be looking for benign reasons for the bleeding. I was told things like adenomyosis and endometriosis can’t be picked up on USS, they need to do a biopsy to confirm those. So don’t panic if that is offered.
    You’re not being seen on a 2ww pathway, so this is not a suspected cancer!

Fingers crossed I do hope everything goes well to be honest I don’t mind them carrying out investigations for benign reasons carry away I say but that fear of what if it is something sinister disables me, sometimes I shoot myself as well as I panic so much I end up getting referred for extra tests which then creates more anxiety and unhelpful thoughts .. well my appointment is not until 28th June so I have a long wait. I’ve got a call with my own gp to discuss my results although it was all normal I just wanted to discuss them and see what’s next in store for me

Couldn’t you rearrange your appointment til after your holiday if you think that’ll help you to face it with less anxiety?

Well I was going to do that but then my mum sister and husband who do not Clearly suffer from health anxiety think I’m worrying too much and should just go for the appointment (my sister had post menopausal bleeding ultrasound showed a thickened lining and still refused hysterscopy saying she will come back if it happens again !!! I was like how are you not panicking about this ) so yes I have a few sane people around me who think I should go, and on the other hand I also feel if I don’t go I will always wonder on holiday what if so really there is a no win situation so think might as well go and face the music no matter how daunting it is hopefully they’ll see my scan and say you’re completely fine here is some hormonal tablets off you go bye !!! (Wishful thinking )

I can't imagine they'd do a hysteroscopy if everything is normal! How old are you? I started getting spotting with ovulation in my mid-30s. I'd never had it before then! It's most likely just some wackiness with hormones as you get older.

I’m 39! Tbh weirdness to my cycle started after my 26th birthday in the sense long period cycles etc but at the same time I was going through severe anxiety so put it down to that then in 2020 the pattern of my blood flow started to get weird took longer too start and then a lot of brown stuff (sorry for tmi) at the end and then in end of dec 2021 and Jan feb March I had all this spotting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information