Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hysteroscopy or not ?

Re: Hysteroscopy or not ?

UPDATE — to anyone who has been following, so I went for my most awaited gyno appointment.Bloods and scan was done by gp so the gyno did a speculum and internal examinations and took swaps. He said he couldn’t see anything that was causing the bleeding and that my scan was normal. He said he was going to discharge me and just advised to keep an eye on things if it goes worst he won’t mind checking me again he also said just to keep up to date with smear. He said there was nothing indicative of anything cancerous that he could see and he said it may very well be hormonal and that my FSH was border line and that my ovaries are just working a bit harder now to work but besides that her said it was ok and I was good to go. Although I’m relived it’s nothing sinister I now need to think how can I bring my hormones back to balance the gyno did say that birth control pills are not guarantee to stop the spotting so I’m thinking no point really taking hormones if not needed

So following what happened in the summer things did not calm down I still had spotting and weird periods went back to gyno who said the only think left to was a hysterscopy

I was given 3 options either to have it done with no anaesthetic, take local with sedation or GA, I was advised by the nurse who was present in the appointment not to choose to go with out anaesthetic as I’ve no kids so it might be difficult so chose the middle one local with sedation. I was reassured by the gyno that I will feel pressure and that someone is doing something but will not feel the pain.

Had my pre op today so I asked the same question again this time though the nurse said if it hurts don’t worry we will give you GA then and there so just fast before you come in. So now I’m thinking did I make the right descion will it hurt ? Has anyone had this procedure with local and sedation how was it ?

Also if my lining and womb looks all ok would they still need to take a biopsy? I am petrified to wait for the results and as I’m having the procedure done this Thursday with it being so close to Christmas I can imagine the delays getting the report. My TVS results we normal and my womb lining was normal so I have no idea what they going to find ? I am so worried about the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl82 View Post
    So following what happened in the summer things did not calm down I still had spotting and weird periods went back to gyno who said the only think left to was a hysterscopy
    I had a very painful Hysteroscopy done only with a local. (I've got three kids)

If there's a next time, it will be done under sedation. (Or GA)

My womb looked ok but they still took biopsies, so don't read anything into that. Trust me, if you have to go through this procedure, then you might as well make sure that there's no problem, and that means taking biopsies.

I had a post-meno bleed and had to have a Hysteroscopy. Mine was also this time of year, and I got my results on a Christmas Eve (no cancer).

That was the best present I had that year.

I've had 2 hysteroscopies as part of fertility treatment following a botched C-section many years ago. Both times with GA. I would certainly keep your options open and fast. You may be absolutely fine with sedation but it's good that you have the option to change your mind should you need to.

Good luck!

Thanks pulisa and NoraB, well I went to day surgery today all ready for what ever may come my way. Anesthetiser came we discussed options and agreed would only put me under if needs be. Then my consultant came to see me he asked how’s the spotting and I said it’s still there, he asked about my periods I said they lighter if anything. He then said to me do you really want this done I think what you have is hormonal and he then went to double check my scan and came back saying your scan is normal and based on the evidence in front of me I won’t find anything concerning but he said I don’t mind doing it, and as I’m classed as high risk for anaesthetic any way he said do you really want to put yourself at risk for a procedure you might not really need but he left the descion to me. You can imagine as a person with health anxiety I didn’t know what to do, I thought about it and then decided not to go ahead with it, it was such a big fight within myself but I actually had to let my head do the talking not my anxiety. I then thought that even if he had the slightest doubt he wouldn’t have given me a choice I was already there it wouldn’t have mattered to him either way so he wasn’t telling me to think about it not for him but more so for him. He really does think all this is hormonal and unfortunately for some women going on to thier forties this is a price to pay irratic hormones,I told him when I exercise I spot and he said sometimes hormonal imbalance causes that. So then rather than feed my anxiety I decided I wouldn’t get the procedure done however he said he will see me in clinic again in 3 months and we will take further descions then but at them moment he said based on the evidence provided to him he was thinking it may not be the right time to get it done and Cause my self more problems

What a helpful and insightful doctor. It's an invasive procedure and only needs to be done if there is a clinical need for it to be done. It's not a walk in the park so well done you for making the only decision possible at this moment in time. Reassess in 3 months....There is no way you would have been given this option if there were any doubt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information