Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Anxiety is relentless

Re: Health Anxiety is relentless

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Still struggling here.
    I'm very tearful and just about holding it all together. I sent an econsult to my doctors and received a text message to say that I already have a telephone appointment booked in for next Thursday, so the doctor will speak to me then. I think this appointment was already in the system as my doc rings me every few weeks to check in on me. All I can think is that my results are abnormal and that as my doctor is already speaking to me next week, they know it will be dealt with then. I feel sick with anxiety and can't think straight.
    You are not thinking straight. Abnormal blood test results are notified to the patient there and then not delayed for a week.

You have done amazingly well to get to where you are without any therapy or medication.
    I've had 2 bouts of hospitalisation but decided I was going to do better by making my own rules and sticking to them if I could. Rules for me just meant self-care and asking myself what benefit would come from giving in to certain behaviours or checking rituals. I also had huge motivation to get better as I had to have carers for my children and I hated that. MH community care is pretty rubbish in Surrey so it was down to me to sort myself out realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Rules for me just meant self-care and asking myself what benefit would come from giving in to certain behaviours or checking rituals.
    THIS!!!!!

Woke up this morning with churning stomach and feelings of dread. You all know the drill!
    I keep going over and over the fact that the doctor would have called me if my results were normal, instead of them saying I have an appointment booked anyway and can chat to doctor then. Really finding it hard to cope.

What sorts of rules did you put in place Pulisa and Nora?

x

Why would a GP make an extra phone call to tell a patient that her blood tests were normal when she already had a routine appointment booked in for the following week?

Woke up this morning with churning stomach and feelings of dread. You all know the drill!
    I keep going over and over the fact that the doctor would have called me if my results were normal
    My doctor would never do that... I've never heard of that at all.

What sorts of rules did you put in place Pulisa and Nora?
    Rules in respect to what, exactly?

Yes I completely understand that.
    It’s because my doctor is very supportive and knows the levels of anxiety I experience waiting for results. Having said that, she only works on a Thursday.

Rules in respect to what, exactly?[/QUOTE]

My mistake. I see know you were talking about rules around challenging the HA. I read it as you both having put in place rules about checking, ocd type behaviour
    Last edited by flatterycat; 21-05-22 at 10:44.

Yes I completely understand that.
    It’s because my doctor is very supportive and knows the levels of anxiety I experience waiting for results. Having said that, she only works on a Thursday.
    I would suggest not being overly reliant on your doctor's "support" because being able to wait for results is just what happens in the NHS regardless of whether you have HA or not. You haven't had a phone call so you are panicking. To me no phone call would mean "phew"..no problems because the surgery is quick to get in touch with me with any issues which need a follow up. I'm just like any other patient.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I would suggest not being overly reliant on your doctor's "support" because being able to wait for results is just what happens in the NHS regardless of whether you have HA or not. You haven't had a phone call so you are panicking. To me no phone call would mean "phew"..no problems because the surgery is quick to get in touch with me with any issues which need a follow up. I'm just like any other patient.
    Thanks Pulisa

A couple of years ago it was suggested that I stick to one GP instead of seeing so many different ones, which I was doing at the time. My GP agreed that she would support me and that’s when we changed my medication. She would ring me every few weeks and check in and if there was anything worrying me she would see me if she felt it was needed. Then she went down to one day a week. The idea of this was that it would stop me rushing to doctors in between.

I’ve tried really hard to keep busy today but keep getting waves of feeling a bit nauseous and panicky and then needing to rush to the loo. I don’t know if this is down to all the high anxiety over the last week or so, but it’s just another thing my HA is latching on to.

I hope you’re all having a nice evening x

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information