Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just want this to stop

Re: I just want this to stop

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Doesn't matter about whether you have a light on or not. It's about the blue light that's emitted from your Kindle screen directly into your eyes and this will stimulate the brain and prevent you from being able to sleep, or to enter into deep sleep..

You can put a stop to this but it won't be instant. It will take some time and effort and you don't give up after day one. I'm talking weeks and months here in order to break the cycle. As bad as it seems at the moment, this is temporary.

Have you done what we've suggested? As in writing your concerns down? Get proactive on what can be changed and accept the rest.

In order for your brain to know it's time to sleep, your bedroom needs to be as dark as possible. I had great success using a 'Mindfold' as I realised that, even when my eyes were closed, I was sensitive to any changes in light in the room. I don't eat after 6pm. I don't drink decaf after 4pm. I don't watch any stimulating TV after 6pm. Sleep hygiene is very important and it's often those small details (that we consider to be too insignificant to bother with) which cause the biggest problems..

What type of music did you listen to? All this matters. Everything that you ingest - body & mind - matters.

Have you tried doing deep breathing exercises?

What (if anything) have you done to help yourself? You're commenting on here with the same dialogue and the problem is that in doing this repeatedly we are reaffirming our fears and actively keeping the cycle going.

Bottom line: you need to change your dialogue (because the brain is taking notice) and challenge those thoughts.

I'd also throw in something else..

I presume you're female? You're 53. So are you menopausal? Reason is that the menopause can REALLY muck around with our systems as a whole and some women who have never experienced this level of anxiety before, do so during this time. Increased anxiety can be due to the decline in progesterone (the calming hormone) and we can get some help with that. If you don't know that you are entering the menopause then this, for me, would be one to put on the 'list of things I can do something about' and get your FSH levels checked etc..
    NoraB thank you for all the advice and support - I had considered age too but was pushed into early menopause 14 years ago at 39 when I had chemo for breast cancer….. I did have some hormone blood tests 4.5 years ago as they needed to be sure a medication they were considering for my lupus and pregnancy and they confirmed I could not conceive so assume that is probably not a factor although not entirely sure.

All I know is I am a mess right now - I feel so so scared from my waking moment which incidentally is a lot as not sleeping - concerned for the cough although do think a lot is me making this happen - just so confused and scared and shaky and just cannot get my mind off the ever growing list of things that is wrong !!!!

Re: I just want this to stop

Quote Originally Posted by shazbog View Post
    NoraB thank you for all the advice and support - I had considered age too but was pushed into early menopause 14 years ago at 39 when I had chemo for breast cancer….. I did have some hormone blood tests 4.5 years ago as they needed to be sure a medication they were considering for my lupus and pregnancy and they confirmed I could not conceive so assume that is probably not a factor although not entirely sure.
    Okies. Sorry to hear about the BC. I was also 39 when I started the meno but mine was due to genetics (Thank you, Mother)

All I know is I am a mess right now - I feel so so scared from my waking moment which incidentally is a lot as not sleeping - concerned for the cough although do think a lot is me making this happen - just so confused and scared and shaky and just cannot get my mind off the ever growing list of things that is wrong !!!!
    Again, that list can be very helpful. Have you tried to do this yet?

As shit as this is for you Shaz, there's much you can do to improve the situation..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information