Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anxiety over on-line shopping

Re: Anxiety over on-line shopping

Yes, Thank you Lencoboy, you are quite right of course, I suppose as a 'very much' working class chap myself, my dad being a dock stevedore, my leaving school at 15 with no qualifications, my values have been very much based on the 1940's and 1950's. In 1960 one could buy a very nice new semi-detached home for £3,150. I suppose those thing you speak of would have gone straight over my head during those periods. I have been fortunate to have been in full time employment from the first working day after leaving school until reaching 65. But I must now say - Your messages and that of others have done the job, for I do actually feel somewhat more optimistic for those youngsters many of whom must be sitting exams these very weeks, they work dam hard and deserve their rewards. Nice to have had these conversations. Thank you.

I am relatively young (30) and can say it's worrisome for me too. Of course we'll adapt, but it's frustrating. I live in a very modest two bedroom house and I would not have that house without help from my parents. My dad bought a home when he was younger than I am now and it is now worth well over $1 million. We aren't in California or anything, either. I would love to be able to buy it from him and live there myself one day, but that will take a lot of saving and a major career change on my part.

The remote and online work that became really popular during the pandemic is great, but it's been an issue for those like myself who live in areas that were previously not super popular and relatively affordable, as now individuals from the coasts with high paying remote jobs have come in to grab "cheap" housing, which of course pushes the rest of us out. I know that has become an issue abroad as well, as many who are able to work abroad are moving into countries with relatively low COL and pushing residents out there as well. I understand wanting to make that move, but there's not a lot of consideration being given to the impact of it.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilcom81 View Post
    Yes, Thank you Lencoboy, you are quite right of course, I suppose as a 'very much' working class chap myself, my dad being a dock stevedore, my leaving school at 15 with no qualifications, my values have been very much based on the 1940's and 1950's. In 1960 one could buy a very nice new semi-detached home for £3,150. I suppose those thing you speak of would have gone straight over my head during those periods. I have been fortunate to have been in full time employment from the first working day after leaving school until reaching 65. But I must now say - Your messages and that of others have done the job, for I do actually feel somewhat more optimistic for those youngsters many of whom must be sitting exams these very weeks, they work dam hard and deserve their rewards. Nice to have had these conversations. Thank you.
    You're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I sense something rather sinister, perverse, and indeed Orwellian about this.

Also reminds me of some school horror stories, involving certain sadist teachers/staff members who blatantly revelled in humiliating and belittling certain pupils, especially the 'weaker' ones.
    At school I was made to feel that there was something very wrong with me. In terms of intelligence the reality was that I was a different learner and I have Dyscalculia (which explains a lot and not only why I'm epically shit at maths) And of course there was the undiagnosed autism. Teachers used to talk at me and not only could I not answer them but also the information didn't go in. I can still remember sitting there staring at a blank page while everyone else was busily working, and me not being able to speak up to get any help. And of course there were many teachers who abused me for it - as was the case in the 70s. Kids like me (and you, Len) were generally ignored or abused. But there were a couple of teachers who were lovely to me and I'll never forget them either. I cannot comprehend how any human being, especially those in supposed caring professions, can look at a child who is visibly struggling - and want to add to their misery.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    At school I was made to feel that there was something very wrong with me. In terms of intelligence the reality was that I was a different learner and I have Dyscalculia (which explains a lot and not only why I'm epically shit at maths) And of course there was the undiagnosed autism. Teachers used to talk at me and not only could I not answer them but also the information didn't go in. I can still remember sitting there staring at a blank page while everyone else was busily working, and me not being able to speak up to get any help. And of course there were many teachers who abused me for it - as was the case in the 70s. Kids like me (and you, Len) were generally ignored or abused. But there were a couple of teachers who were lovely to me and I'll never forget them either. I cannot comprehend how any human being, especially those in supposed caring professions, can look at a child who is visibly struggling - and want to add to their misery.
    I remember you telling me before Nora, in another thread a while back.

I've even heard other school horror stories from the pre-80s era where psycho teachers literally used to beat answers out of certain pupils, even so-called 'neurotypicals', and likewise, psycho police officers beating answers out of arrestees in cop shop interview rooms, guilty or innocent.

As far as TV dramas were concerned, such instances of the former fortunately were extremely rare on the likes of 'Grange Hill', as 'teacher brutality' towards kids in schools was already starting to decline and fall out of favour by the time said drama first started airing, but in the latter case, some episodes of 'The Sweeney' and very occasionally even a few earlier episodes of 'The Bill' showed some quite blatant instances of police brutality.

Sorry for the gory stuff and potentially triggering anyone on here with PTSD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information