Thread: Waiting is so hard, cancer fears

Waiting is so hard, cancer fears

I mostly just want to put it out there instead of venting to my poor husband again. I’ve been waiting 3 months to get into the dermatologist for an itchy mole/pink/scaly patch on my nose. They called last week and canceled my appointment and now I won’t be seen until the middle of June. I’m terrified it’s cancer just spreading while I get pushed back. The itching doesn’t help because it’s a constant reminder of the issue. We have three young children and I’m terrified of not being there for them. I should also mention my mom is currently getting cancer treatment for lung cancer. Im just trying to hold it together.

Re: Waiting is so hard, cancer fears

I'm sorry. That is incredibly hard, when you just want an answer but keep getting put off.

I actually went to the derm a few months ago because I had some spots that I was just sure were cancer - I'm very pale and burn easily and they were just odd. I was terrified I wouldn't get in, but I did manage to get in fairly quickly and...it was nothing. Just an atypical skin tag. A lot of drama for nothing (but nothing is good!).

It's likely something totally benign, some sort of allergy or irritation, but even if it does end up being sinister they can often remove skin cancers very quickly and easily.

I'm sorry about your mom, and no doubt that is triggering for you. Hopefully you can get some good news and hopefully she is feeling well herself.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Sorry you’re going through this. I think when you’re already so worried about your mum it makes things a lot more heightened.

I think it’s likely your skin problem has been triaged, so they’re probably not overly concerned about it. Maybe give the dermatologist’s office a call and ask? Might make you feel better.

Why are you waiting 3 months in the US?

Did you ask to be put on a cancelation list?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Why are you waiting 3 months in the US?

Did you ask to be put on a cancelation list?
    In my area the dermatologist offices are very behind. I did get put on the wait list but I think my age is a huge factor and because I’m still technically young, I’m probably low priority.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I'm sorry. That is incredibly hard, when you just want an answer but keep getting put off.

I actually went to the derm a few months ago because I had some spots that I was just sure were cancer - I'm very pale and burn easily and they were just odd. I was terrified I wouldn't get in, but I did manage to get in fairly quickly and...it was nothing. Just an atypical skin tag. A lot of drama for nothing (but nothing is good!).

It's likely something totally benign, some sort of allergy or irritation, but even if it does end up being sinister they can often remove skin cancers very quickly and easily.

I'm sorry about your mom, and no doubt that is triggering for you. Hopefully you can get some good news and hopefully she is feeling well herself.
    Thanks! I go on Thursday. I’m really getting more nervous as my appointment gets closer. My life has been a pretty traumatic roller coaster with my mom’s health and me having kids with health issues. I’m really hoping for some normal soon. Whatever that is!

Well, its June 22, any update?

(Pet peeve, stringing us along and then no update/resolution)

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Well, its June 22, any update?

(Pet peeve, stringing us along and then no update/resolution)
    Mine too Nancy..

It bugs me when people post on here and all take time to advise and support, then they don't bother to come back and update. My hope is that they're ok but it would be nice to have closure..

Also, HAers read these threads and think the worst - which isn't helpful..

Thread Information