Thread: Lump on my shin - Need reassurance

Unhappy Lump on my shin - Need reassurance

Hi there,

I've not posted on here in a long time, years in fact. I've had my HA under control up until about December time. I have since started to get help again with it as soon as I started to notice I was getting bad again. My latest concern is about 3 weeks ago I could feel a lump on my shin, since then I've poked and prodded it so it's obviously become hard and inflamed. I stopped doing that, stopped thinking about it for a week and started doing it again. At that point I worked myself up that much that I started googling and of course, it came up the worst which resulted in a panic attack. So Friday I went to the doctors and he felt it and didn't seem concerned at all and told me it was nothing to worry about. He said it's most likely a lipoma which is a fatty lump. And I do have something similar on the other leg because he felt it.

I believed him for around about 10 minutes I got home and started to panic once again. I'm trying not to touch it to see if it does going down. Originally, when I first discovered it I thought maybe I had knocked it which resulted in a lump but like I said it's now been 3 weeks and surely it would have gone. I also couldn't feel anything on my other leg hence why I do not believe him.

Has anyone had anything similar? And should I go back and see someone else or am I overreacting? Because I'm still basically losing my mind over it. It's the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to sleep it's been awful.

Thank you,
    Emily x

Re: Lump on my shin - Need reassurance

Hey there,

Hope you're doing okay. First of all, if the doc looked at it, you should absolutely not worry. I had a rock hard lump on my shin for like two months a few summers back. Freaked me out for a few days until I remembered that I bashed my shin on a shopping cart a few weeks before I noticed the bump. I'm sure that you probably banged your shin and completely forgot about it or something like that.
    Either way, if the doc says it's nothing to worry about, it's nothing to worry about.

I have worried about these before, but it's not something I've worried madly about like other things - heart, head, bowels etc.

Do you play sports at all?? I have two large lumps on my lower inner shins from being kicked in football. I don't what exactly they are now, but they are quite firm and feel 'on the bone'. Those two came from getting kicked hard playing football. One of which I've lost sensation on the skin because the bloke bl**dy kicked me so hard! That freaked me out for a while but I just live with it now. The left shin one still feels tender from time to time, but I've had two doctors examine it in the past and neither decided to do anything about them.

I've also got a number of other little lumps and bumps which I've discovered over the years which I've mainly put down to again playing sports or banging them in someway.

Quote Originally Posted by rc906 View Post
    Hey there,

Hope you're doing okay. First of all, if the doc looked at it, you should absolutely not worry. I had a rock hard lump on my shin for like two months a few summers back. Freaked me out for a few days until I remembered that I bashed my shin on a shopping cart a few weeks before I noticed the bump. I'm sure that you probably banged your shin and completely forgot about it or something like that.
    Either way, if the doc says it's nothing to worry about, it's nothing to worry about.

Hey!

I've been a little better today thank you. I think being at worked helped distract my brain! Honestly, I bash my shins all the time my legs are constantly full of bruises so I don't really know why my brain hasn't put 2 & 2 together. I think I vaguely remember bashing it on the side of my bed but I can't be so sure. I think to be honest, I haven't helped it by poking it constantly. It has gone down also since i've tried to stop messing.

Thank you for your reply I've found it very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    I have worried about these before, but it's not something I've worried madly about like other things - heart, head, bowels etc.

Do you play sports at all?? I have two large lumps on my lower inner shins from being kicked in football. I don't what exactly they are now, but they are quite firm and feel 'on the bone'. Those two came from getting kicked hard playing football. One of which I've lost sensation on the skin because the bloke bl**dy kicked me so hard! That freaked me out for a while but I just live with it now. The left shin one still feels tender from time to time, but I've had two doctors examine it in the past and neither decided to do anything about them.

I've also got a number of other little lumps and bumps which I've discovered over the years which I've mainly put down to again playing sports or banging them in someway.
    Isn't it funny, how are minds all work differently and one thing is serious is for one person and something isn't for another. Damn health anxiety!

I don't play sports but I do go to the gym and as i've put in the above reply I often get bruises all over my legs all of the time for one random reason or another. I'm just prone to bruising badly, so it seems! That's how mine feels, like it's on the bone and firm it's very strange! This is why I freaked out about it initially

Thank you for your reply also! I appreciate it and found it very helpful

I've had a small lump on my left shin for years and years. Never thought a thing of it, never caused any issues and no doctor has ever remarked on it.

Thread Information