Thread: Worried…Cancer?

Worried…Cancer?

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. I’ve always had loose stools. When I had a IBS flare up it was very loose multiple times a day with pain and gas. The last couple years, I’ve progressively found it harder and harder to pass stool. Even loose stool I kinda have to lean back on the toilet and readjust/move around to get it all out. Sometimes having to strain pretty hard to pass even loose stool. The last 6 months I’ve had pretty solid stool (not hard, really normal) and it has been so hard to pass I’ve resorted to pressing on the perenium it help guide it through. I have to go multiple times a day because most of the time I am unable to pass the stool even though I feel it in my passage. The last few months I starting to notice the shape of my stool is usually pretty flat or thin…I don’t know how long it’s been like that just something I realized because I was starting to worry about how my pooping probs have been getting worse, and so googled it. Now I’m so worried that I have some kind of colorectal cancer. What I’ve been shrugging off as “IBS” are all signs and symptoms of cancer. Pretty much the only symptom I don’t have is bleeding. My primary doc has put in referral for GI doc but I’m so scared and can’t stop looking up symptoms which just confirms my fears. That’s how I found this forum and am thankful this helps bring me back to reality a little bit, but I though I would share what I’m going through to see if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing without it being cancer??? Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by Ellasmama; 22-05-22 at 12:13.

Re: Worried…Cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellasmama View Post
    My primary doc has put in referral for GI doc but I’m so scared and can’t stop looking up symptoms which just confirms my fears. That’s how I found this forum and am thankful this helps bring me back to reality a little bit, but I though I would share what I’m going through to see if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing without it being cancer??? Thanks for the support.
    In what way does it 'confirm' your fears?

Yes, I've had (and still have) these symptoms and no cancer..

I had bleeding but it due to a fissure..

I have 'mechanical' issues from my years of straining with constipation based IBS. (I started off the other way with IBS) I too have to lean back and I've had to hold my undercarriage with my hand. That's corrected itself as it happens. (pelvic exercises)

Do yourself a favour and don't Google..

Yea. Googling is bad. I know I have health anxiety and I really try to go on with the intention to talk myself out of the fears i.e. find things that I have that doesn’t fit cancer but then I find things that confirm it like with this I have change in bowel movements, frequency, shape, pain in my lower left quadrant, feeling like there is a mass, unable to pass stool easily, etc., whuch are all symptoms of colorectal cancer. Literally, if you look up the symptoms the only thing I don’t have is the bleeding. Logically, I know that it could be IBS… but deep down I have the “what ifs” that start festering and then I spiral out of control and “know” it’s something more. There fórums help me a lot realizing 1. I’m not alone with my fears and 2. The reassurance that I can’t have these symptoms and it not be something sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellasmama View Post
    Yea. Googling is bad. I know I have health anxiety and I really try to go on with the intention to talk myself out of the fears i.e. find things that I have that doesn’t fit cancer but then I find things that confirm it like with this I have change in bowel movements, frequency, shape, pain in my lower left quadrant, feeling like there is a mass, unable to pass stool easily, etc., whuch are all symptoms of colorectal cancer.
    When you say 'feeling like there is a mass' what exactly do you mean? Can you feel a mass with your hands? Or is there a sensation off fullness in that area?

I get pain in my lower left quadrant, my right, and above the pubic bone. It's in the right quad at the moment. I've had bum-cams, scans - you name it. (IBS)

Have you had a C section? Only scar tissue can be problematic and sometimes it can be confused with colon pain..

Literally, if you look up the symptoms the only thing I don’t have is the bleeding. Logically, I know that it could be IBS… but deep down I have the “what ifs” that start festering and then I spiral out of control and “know” it’s something more. There fórums help me a lot realizing 1. I’m not alone with my fears and 2. The reassurance that I can’t have these symptoms and it not be something sinister.
    You can literally Google any symptom and come up with cancer. This is why it's a good idea not to Google...

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 21. My BMs were loose then. Now I'm the other way. I've had a lot of new pains and I've acted on them because they are new but it's still IBS and MSK..

Treat the symptoms. If your poo is hard, you need to soften it up. Try taking magnesium (citrate) or stool softeners. Look at your diet and make sure you're not eating a lot of junk or foods which constipate you. Try peppermint for the gas and use a heat-pad on the painful areas. Listen to what your body needs from you..

I guess mass isn’t the right word. I do feel a fullness. Like if I lean over it feels like something is pushing on my ribs. I can’t feel anything with my hands if I press though. I immediately think “mass”. I’ve read that gas can feel like that but it is there ALL the time. It doesn’t come and go. There is a sensation of fullness all the time. I’ve read peppermint oil a lot of places. I will try that. Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is definitely helping me.

Thread Information